Last Tucson Drive-in on the Move - Tucson News Now

Last Tucson Drive-in on the Move

By David Gonzalez - email

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD) Tucson's last remaining drive-in theater closed it's gates last year but it's iconic big screens are on the move.

A group of drive-in enthusiasts is trying to preserve the decades-old big screens at DeAnza Drive-in.

"This is just a piece of a bigger project of saving a historical screen," says Leticia Bermudez, a local volunteer. 

"It's like the last evidence there were drive-ins here in Tucson." she added

DeAnza was demolished shortly after it closed down and it's screens were taken apart.

"We are going to take them to an off site storage location until the new location is secure," says Susan Sandoval, another local volunteer.

"We hopefully are going to bring this theater back to life."

Project Director for a new, non-profit Cactus Drive-in Charlie Spillar says a new location for the Cactus Drive-in has not been decided but he's positive it will happen.

"I'm pretty confident at this point in time because of all the support we have from the community," he says.

"There's very little question in my mind that it will happen," he says.  "Just when I don't know."

Heavier scraps of metal at the DeAnza drive-in will be hauled away later this week.

© 2010 KOLD. All Rights Reserved

  • Local newsMore>>

  • Overnight fire damages northwest side restaurant

    Sunday, June 25 2017 3:19 PM EDT2017-06-25 19:19:45 GMT
    Source: Northwest Fire DistrictSource: Northwest Fire District

    Northwest Fire District crews responded to an overnight fire on the northwest side of Tucson that caused major damage to a restaurant early Sunday morning.  

    Northwest Fire District crews responded to an overnight fire on the northwest side of Tucson that caused major damage to a restaurant early Sunday morning.  

  • UPDATE: TPD arrests homicide suspect in overnight stabbing; identify victim

    UPDATE: TPD arrests homicide suspect in overnight stabbing; identify victim

    Sunday, June 25 2017 1:44 PM EDT2017-06-25 17:44:37 GMT
    Police identified suspect as 38-year-old Michael Thomas Payne. (Source: TPD)Police identified suspect as 38-year-old Michael Thomas Payne. (Source: TPD)

    Police have made an arrest of a homicide suspect after investigating the scene on the east side of Tucson, and have identified the man killed.

    Police have made an arrest of a homicide suspect after investigating the scene on the east side of Tucson, and have identified the man killed.

  • BREAKING: Police investigate homicide on Tucson's east side

    BREAKING: Police investigate homicide on Tucson's east side

    Sunday, June 25 2017 1:17 AM EDT2017-06-25 05:17:01 GMT

    Tucson Police said a man died, and a homicide investigation is underway on the east side. TPD Sergeant Kimberly Bay said it happened Saturday night in the 2300 block of South Saddleback Ave, near Golf Links, east of Pantano. TPD did not immediately release information on a suspect. Tucson News Now has a crew heading to the scene, and will post updates as they become available. MOBILE USERS: Download our app on your Apple and Android devices. Copyright ...

    Tucson Police said a man died, and a homicide investigation is underway on the east side. TPD Sergeant Kimberly Bay said it happened Saturday night in the 2300 block of South Saddleback Ave, near Golf Links, east of Pantano. TPD did not immediately release information on a suspect. Tucson News Now has a crew heading to the scene, and will post updates as they become available. MOBILE USERS: Download our app on your Apple and Android devices. Copyright ...

Powered by Frankly