White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs provided a rundown of President Obama's trip to Tucson:
The president and Mrs. Obama spent about 45 minutes at University Medical Center. They visited a total of five patients who were victims of Saturday's attack, including Rep. Giffords and two of her staffers, Ron Barber and Pam Simon, plus two others who were not identified.
They were led on the tour by Dr. Peter Rhee. A White House physician was part of the advance team for the hospital. A breakdown of the hospital tour follows, below.
We arrived at the McKale Center at just before 5 p.m. POTUS and FLOTUS are meeting privately with 13 people who are family members of the deceased. With them are AG Holder, Sens. McCain and Kyl, and Rep. Barrasso. They may be meeting with other family members after this group.
Here is the breakdown of their visit (all times local):
- 4:06 to 4:07 p.m.: They arrive on the ICU, on the second floor of the hospital and greet doctors, nurses and staff near Giffords' room
- 4:07 to 4:16 p.m.: They visit with Giffords and her husband. He said he had no information on her condition or whether she was able to participate in the visit.
- 4:16 to 4:21 p.m. They visit with patient #2 (he did not say whether this was one of the staffers or one of the unidentified patients)
- 4:22 to 4:23 p.m. They greeted doctors, nurses and staff
- 4:23 to 4:28 p.m. They visit with patient #3
- 4:28 to 4:36 p.m. They walk through hospital and greet personnel and take several photos
- 4:36 to 4:39 p.m. They visit with patient #4
- 4:39 to 4:40 p.m. They greet doctors, nurses and staff
- 4:40 to 4:45 p.m. They visit with patient #5
- 4:45 to 4:49 p.m. They walk through the hospital, shaking hands, and go to the first floor
- 4:49 to 4:51 p.m. They meet with about 20 people on the trauma team that received the victims on Saturday.