DEATH: Jurors recommend death for serial killer Anthony Sowell - Tucson News Now

DEATH: Jurors recommend death for serial killer Anthony Sowell

Posted: Updated:
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

A jury has recommended the death penalty for convicted serial killer Anthony Sowell. Judge Dick Ambrose has scheduled sentencing for Friday, August 12, 2011, at 9:00 am.

On July 22, 2011, after a seven week trial, Sowell, 51, was found guilty for the murder of eleven women between June 2007 and September 2009. The victim's remains were found inside and outside of his home on Imperial Avenue in Cleveland. Along with the aforementioned charges, Sowell was also found guilty of the attempted murder and rape of two additional women, along with the attempted rape of the third victim.

Sowell was found guilty of 82 of the 83 counts including all specifications. The charges are as follows: aggravated murder, kidnapping, abuse of a corpse, and tampering with evidence.

Sowell appeared in an orange prison jumpsuit for the first time since his trial began in June. He was also handcuffed.

The courtroom was packed with families of the victims. They broke out in applause when Sowell was taken from the courtroom. Sowell turned to the family and bowed before leaving the courtroom.

All 12 jurors addressed the media after the verdict.

Many of the jurors say they were not moved by Sowell's unsworn statement and feeble apology to the victims on Monday and were comfortable with their decision.

"We went strictly by the instruction and we followed the law," said one juror.

One juror agreed with the defense's expert that Sowell was faking it. 

Some of the jurors were asked about their faith and their decision.

One juror said, "my personal feeling had nothing do it."

Sowell was convicted last month of murdering eleven women and burying their bodies in and around his Imperial Avenue.  

Copyright 2011 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow