Mesquite Crisp Topping by Carolyn Niethammer, author of "Cooking the Wild Southwest."
½ cup mesquite meal
1 quart sliced fruits
1 cup raw oatmeal
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
4-6 tablespoons butter, softened
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the mesquite meal, oatmeal, brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. Add the butter in small bits. With your fingers distribute the butter throughout the other ingredients.
4. Sprinkle the mixture on top of a pan of chopped, sweetened fruit. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
5. Depending on your taste, you could stir a few tablespoons of sugar into the fruit. Goes especially well with peaches or apples.
7831 N. Business Park Drive