Two people were injured in a fire Thursday morning in a homeless camp near West Cortaro Farms and North Thornydale roads, just behind a Valero gas station.
The smoke from the fire could be seen for miles, according to witnesses.
Northwest Fire crews responded to the scene around 6:45am after receiving several 911 calls.
Firefighters arrived to find a homeless camp fully engulfed in flames. Crews describe the site as a 40x40-foot area, built by a homeless couple several years ago. The structure was constructed out of mattresses, plastic tarp covers, and wood panels.
The couple told investigators that a candle was being used in the camp and started the fire.
The man and woman suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation. A non-profit church group is offering assistance to the couple.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
7831 N. Business Park Drive