PHOENIX (CBS5) -
ADOT and the Department of Public Safety recommend the following winter driving tips:
- Slow down, be patient and drive safely. Plan for extra travel time.
- Be alert: ice forms on bridges first and is hard to see.
- Leave approximately 500 feet between your vehicle and a snowplow.
- Maintain at least a three-quarter full tank of gas.
- Notify someone of your travel route, destination and projected arrival time.
- Carry an emergency preparedness kit in your vehicle that includes blankets, extra clothes, a flashlight, an ice scraper, a shovel, sand for traction, a fully charged cell phone, and hazard warning lights or reflectors.
- Brake slowly to avoid any panic braking or jerking the steering wheel.
- Increase the distance between you and the traffic ahead.
- Carry plenty of food and water and all necessary medications.
- Carry tire chains, snow cables or snow tires.
- Wear warm clothes to protect you during extended time periods in cold temperatures.
Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.