One man killed in shooting near I-19 and Valencia - Tucson News Now

Victim in Walmart parking lot shooting identified

Posted: Updated:
Police say they received numerous 911 calls, starting around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday. Police say they received numerous 911 calls, starting around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Tucson Police say one man is dead after a shooting in the Walmart parking lot near I-19 and Valencia.  Police say they received numerous 911 calls, starting around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

When police arrived on scene, they encountered a large group of people in the eastern area of the parking lot. They also discovered that there was an adult male, described as a 25-year old Caucasian male, who was on the ground and appeared to be suffering from at least one gunshot wound.

Tucson Fire Department emergency medical personnel responded to the scene. However, the male succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The victim has been identified as Jeremy Wagner, 25.

Detectives from the Homicide Unit and Night Detectives Unit responded to the scene to assist with the investigation. The initial information that police personnel received indicated that two groups of unrelated individuals engaged in a verbal altercation.  At one point, the verbal altercation escalated to a physical confrontation between two males, one from each group.

The deceased male victim had been involved in the physical fight. Also, one male, who had been physically fighting, had a gun. The gun was discharged at least one time, striking the male victim.

The other male that had been involved in the physical altercation was described as a 20-year old Hispanic male. Immediately after the gun was fired, the Hispanic male began running eastbound across South Midvale Park Road. However, he was later apprehended a short distance away without incident when he encountered a security guard in a nearby apartment complex.

At this time, it is believed that all parties involved in the incident are accounted for and have been detained or are otherwise present with police personnel. Additionally, the gun that was discharged during the course of the incident was also believed to have been recovered.

Detectives continue working to determine the motive for the shooting and the sequence of events that led up to it.

At this time no arrests have been made.

Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow