PCC graduate gets a surprise on a long-awaited night - Tucson News Now

PCC graduate gets a surprise on a long-awaited night

Leanna Vasquez with her mother Martha Vasquez Leanna Vasquez with her mother Martha Vasquez
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A record-breaking crowd of 3,624 graduates awaited the Pima Community College commencement at Tucson Convention Center's arena Thursday.

"I congratulate all the grads," said Tony Vasquez as he stood in TCC's exhibition hall.  He knew that one of the graduates, his wife Martha, would be in for a surprise.  He watched as his daughter, Leanna, surprised Martha by appearing in the hall.  Leanna had been aboard the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier.

"I just talked to her this morning and she said, ‘I'm sorry, Mom,'" Martha B. Vasquez explained.

"I was at the airport," Leanna Vasquez said.

"And it's great.  I haven't seen her for about a year," Martha said.

"I knew my mom was graduating and this is the most important thing to her, so I was like, ‘I have to be there," and had been trying to put in for leave and I couldn't, so I told her that I couldn't," Leanna explained.  "But then I tried again, and then it got approved, but I wanted to keep it a surprise."

The family got to see Martha receive her associate degree to translate between English and Spanish.

"I was raising my kids, so it's never late.  It's never late.  I will continue," Martha said.

"It's in her dream to complete the college career that she's worked for, and now she did, and I'm really grateful and glad my daughter was able to be here," Tony said.

Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

• Local newsMore>>

• Humble Pie

Final: Arizona N.C. State

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:19 AM EST2017-11-23 05:19:55 GMT

Arizona upset by N.C. State 90-84.

Arizona upset by N.C. State 90-84.

People head to grocery stores for last minute Thanksgiving shopping

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:02 AM EST2017-11-23 05:02:34 GMT

Shoppers filled their carts with everything from green beans, to pie crust and roasting pans during their last minute shopping trips on Wednesday afternoon.

Local grocery store hours for Thanksgiving

Wednesday, November 22 2017 9:24 PM EST2017-11-23 02:24:54 GMT

Looking for a last minute Thanksgiving item?   Here's a quick list of hours for local grocery stores, as always you may want to call your local store before heading out.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Report: Barton said he'd go to Capitol Police over photo

Thursday, November 23 2017 1:12 AM EST2017-11-23 06:12:14 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 7:53 AM EST2017-11-23 12:53:32 GMT

A published report says U.S. Rep. Joe Barton of Texas told a woman to whom he had sent sexually explicit photos, videos and messages that he would report her to U.S. Capitol Police for exposing his behavior.

50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)

Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

Cold War drama caught on video as N. Korean soldier escapes

Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:11 AM EST2017-11-22 07:11:49 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 12:03 AM EST2017-11-23 05:03:46 GMT

On a cold, grey afternoon, a lone North Korean soldier races toward freedom, the shock of his comrades palpable as they realize he is defecting to the South and start sprinting after him.