PCC graduate gets a surprise on a long-awaited night - Tucson News Now

PCC graduate gets a surprise on a long-awaited night

Leanna Vasquez with her mother Martha Vasquez Leanna Vasquez with her mother Martha Vasquez
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A record-breaking crowd of 3,624 graduates awaited the Pima Community College commencement at Tucson Convention Center's arena Thursday.

"I congratulate all the grads," said Tony Vasquez as he stood in TCC's exhibition hall.  He knew that one of the graduates, his wife Martha, would be in for a surprise.  He watched as his daughter, Leanna, surprised Martha by appearing in the hall.  Leanna had been aboard the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier.

"I just talked to her this morning and she said, ‘I'm sorry, Mom,'" Martha B. Vasquez explained.

"I was at the airport," Leanna Vasquez said.

"And it's great.  I haven't seen her for about a year," Martha said.

"I knew my mom was graduating and this is the most important thing to her, so I was like, ‘I have to be there," and had been trying to put in for leave and I couldn't, so I told her that I couldn't," Leanna explained.  "But then I tried again, and then it got approved, but I wanted to keep it a surprise."

The family got to see Martha receive her associate degree to translate between English and Spanish.

"I was raising my kids, so it's never late.  It's never late.  I will continue," Martha said.

"It's in her dream to complete the college career that she's worked for, and now she did, and I'm really grateful and glad my daughter was able to be here," Tony said.

Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

Princes William, Harry remember their final call with Diana

Sunday, July 23 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-23 07:30:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 9:31 PM EDT2017-07-24 01:31:59 GMT

Prince William and Prince Harry are paying tribute to their mother, Princess Diana, as the 20th anniversary of her death in a car crash approaches.