It's a startling statistic. Every two weeks a child is crushed to death by tipped over TVs, furniture, or appliances.
For the first time, we're hearing from a valley woman whose 3-year-old son was killed when a TV fell on top of him.
Heather Poole says she thought her home was child-proofed. She had cabinet locks, socket covers, even a pool fence. But the one thing she never thought of ended up taking her son's life.
Poole is hoping other parents will learn from her mistake.
"I got home from work, went in to kiss my son goodnight and found him underneath his dresser and television."
Brayden Rodgers' skull was crushed and he died instantly. Investigators say the 3-year-old climbed on a dresser, trying to reach the TV. That's when the TV and dresser fell on top of him.
"This is the last picture I have of my son on Christmas day. This is all I have left," says Poole.
"Parents are not supposed to bury their children, that's not the way it works."
Heather Poole hadn't even thought about anchoring her furniture down. It's an easy and inexpensive way to protect your little ones.
"For a $1.93 I could have saved my son's life."
Now Poole has dedicated her life to sharing Brayden's story -- hoping other parents will never experience her pain. She hopes everyone will go home, look around for TV's and furniture that can tip over, and secure that furniture to a wall.
30 to 40 kids are rushed Phoenix Children's Hospital every year after being critically hurt by a tip over. One of those kids dies every year.
"There were days that I believed I was the worst parent in the world for allowing this to happen, but I love my son and now all I have left of him is an urn of ashes and I don't want other families to go through this."
Even if you don't have kids, it's a good idea to brace you furniture and TV's to the wall. Kids and seniors might come over for a visit and hurt themselves.
More information on Brayden's story: braceitforbrayden.org
7831 N. Business Park Drive