Child missing after dad's rendezvous found safe - Tucson News Now

Child missing after dad's rendezvous found safe

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

Phoenix police say a child that was reported missing Thursday afternoon has been found alive and well.

Officer James Holmes said a viewer called police after recognizing 3-year-old Stephon San Miguel from local evening television media reports. Holmes said the caller told police the child had been dropped off to her at about 4 p.m. Thursday. Police have not said who dropped off the child, or why the caller did not immediately call police.

The bizarre case began at about 1:30 p.m. Thursday. A Phoenix man told them he checked into the Motel 6 at Interstate 17 and Indian School Road early Thursday morning with his two boys- ages 3 and 5 - and two women he had just met.

The father said he fell asleep after several hours of partying with the women. Upon awakening, the women were gone - with his car, his cell phone, his wallet and his youngest son. He said he has custody of both sons.

"The only person who is giving us consistent information at this point," said Holmes, "is the 5-year-old." The father is being taken downtown to police headquarters for further questioning. His estranged ex-wife was called to the motel as well to assist in the search.

Stephon was last seen wearing a long-sleeved blue and green shirt. He is approximately 2' tall and weights 36 pounds.

The 5-year-old is currently in the custody of Child Protective Services.

The women are described as being in their mid-30s, Hispanic, between 5'6"and 5'9" with medium build. They may have told the boys they were going to the circus. It is not clear why they allegedly took one child and left the other. One of them may go by the nickname "Booster."

Phoenix police say they are still looking for father's truck, described as a black 2005 Chevrolet Avalanche with 22-inch chrome rims and license plate AAZ-9929.

Please check back with www.cbs5az.com in the hours to come.

Copyright 2012 KPHO (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved. 

  • Local newsMore>>

  • Migrant Quilt Project prepares for nationwide tour

    Migrant Quilt Project prepares for nationwide tour

    Thursday, February 22 2018 6:53 PM EST2018-02-22 23:53:54 GMT
    Migrant quilt project (Source: Tucson News Now)Migrant quilt project (Source: Tucson News Now)
    Migrant quilt project (Source: Tucson News Now)Migrant quilt project (Source: Tucson News Now)

    "These people really made a courageous journey to come across the border for a better way of life," said Jody Ipsen, founder of the Migrant Quilt Project.

    "These people really made a courageous journey to come across the border for a better way of life," said Jody Ipsen, founder of the Migrant Quilt Project.

  • BREAKING

    Allonzo Trier declared ineligible again by NCAA

    Allonzo Trier declared ineligible again by NCAA

    Thursday, February 22 2018 6:32 PM EST2018-02-22 23:32:19 GMT
    Allonzo Trier. (Source: Tucson News Now)Allonzo Trier. (Source: Tucson News Now)

    Allonzo Trier has been declared ineligible by the NCAA.

    Allonzo Trier has been declared ineligible by the NCAA.

  • BREAKING

    UPDATE: Two men found dead in home west of Tucson

    UPDATE: Two men found dead in home west of Tucson

    Thursday, February 22 2018 5:52 PM EST2018-02-22 22:52:27 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    The Pima County Sheriff's Department is investigating the scene at a home in the 2700 block of South Desert Rose Drive.  

    The Pima County Sheriff's Department is investigating the scene at a home in the 2700 block of South Desert Rose Drive.  

Powered by Frankly