A minor gas leak forced a brief evacuation at Tanque Verde High School this afternoon.
According to the Pima County Sheriff's Department, buildings on the campus at 4201 N. Melpomene Way were evacuated just before 2 p.m.
The school released a statement that said a contractor working on a solar construction project bumped into a gas meter, which caused the leak. The statement said that no one was ever in danger.
Students were taken to the football field while emergency crews responded. The leak was isolated and contained quickly and fire crews gave the all-clear at 2:20, at which time students could return for their belongings.
Buses were loaded about 10 minutes earlier than usual and driving students were allowed to leave at the same time.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
7831 N. Business Park Drive