2 Prescott schools locked down after threat of violence - Tucson News Now

2 Prescott schools locked down after threat of violence

© CBS 5 © CBS 5
PRESCOTT, AZ (CBS5) -

Two Prescott schools were on lockdown Friday afternoon after officials received a report that a person threatened to come to a high school with a weapon. 

Prescott High School implemented its lockdown procedures.

A 17-year-old girl called the school and reported someone was headed to the school "on a rampage" and "going to do some damage," Prescott police said. 

Officers set a perimeter around the school and others met inside the facility with school officials, while investigators tried to track the phone call and looked to identify the caller and suspect.

Taylor Hicks Elementary School was also locked down after the caller told the high school staff that the man with the weapon was coming from the Taylor Hicks area, officers said. 

Police interviewing the girl said they noted inconsistencies and missing details in her story. The Prescott High School staff and police officers decided to release the students around 3:15 p.m. The officers remained at the high school until most of the students and staff left the area.

Taylor Hicks Elementary School was also notified of the decision to release the high school students and they released their students as well.

The girl who made the original call to the school staff is still a lead in this case, police said. 

The incident occurred on a day where at least 28 people were killed, including 20 children, in a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. 

Copyright 2012 CBS 5 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • breaking

    GREAT NEWS: Missing Tucson boy found safe

    GREAT NEWS: Missing Tucson boy found safe

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 5:47 PM EDT2017-08-22 21:47:51 GMT
    (Source: Tucson Police Department)(Source: Tucson Police Department)

    11-year-old Alonzo de la Cruz had last been seen at 3 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21 at 315 East Prince Road, detectives found him on Tuesday, he had been staying with a relative.   

    11-year-old Alonzo de la Cruz had last been seen at 3 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21 at 315 East Prince Road, detectives found him on Tuesday, he had been staying with a relative.   

  • Impact of Trump rally on Arizona's agenda

    Impact of Trump rally on Arizona's agenda

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 3:13 PM EDT2017-08-22 19:13:54 GMT
    David Eppihimer (Source: KOLD News 13)David Eppihimer (Source: KOLD News 13)

    David Eppihimer is the Pima County Republican Chairman.  He says President Trump's speech on the new Afghanistan war strategy turned the page.

    David Eppihimer is the Pima County Republican Chairman.  He says President Trump's speech on the new Afghanistan war strategy turned the page.

  • Douglas Denny's closed after fire

    Douglas Denny's closed after fire

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 12:09 PM EDT2017-08-22 16:09:27 GMT
    Denny's in Douglas, AZ (Source: Google Street View)Denny's in Douglas, AZ (Source: Google Street View)

    The Douglas Fire Department said an early morning fire damaged the Denny's restaurant on Fifth Street. DFD said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen with a deep fryer.

    The Douglas Fire Department said an early morning fire damaged the Denny's restaurant on Fifth Street. DFD said the fire appeared to have started in the kitchen with a deep fryer.

Powered by Frankly