Deputies with the Pima County Sheriff's Green Valley district found themselves putting out a fire and evacuation elderly residents when they arrived on scene before the fire department.
It happened last night around 5:30 p.m. at the Del Coronado Apartments on La Canada Drive in Green Valley.
When deputies went inside, they saw heavy black smoke coming from one apartment and head people calling for help.
They helped the elderly residents in the affected wing evacuate first. Then they put out the fire that was burning on a stove, using a fire extinguisher.
When firefighters got there, they took over and made sure everything was safe. Nobody was hurt and the fire was ruled accidental. Three of the four burners on the stuff had been left on and something caught fire, sparking the blaze.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
7831 N. Business Park Drive