There were a lot of great highlights in 2012 that represented the sports that are played here in Southern Arizona.
Here are just a few and then a few more:
1) Hunter Mahan beat golf's "IT" player Rory McIlroy to win the Accenture Match Play Championship.
2) CDO grad Donny Toia helped lead FC Tucson to the playoffs and the honor of being the United State Soccer and Premier Developmental League's Rookie Franchise of the Year.
3) Arizona Baseball won it's fourth National Championship and was feted with a welcome home celebration at McKale Center.
4) Rincon Little League scored two runs in the bottom of the 7th on Terrell Huggins' double to beat Arrowhead and win the Arizona State Title.
5) Alexi Amarista made a pit stop in Tucson and showed big league range on his way to San Diego.
6) Sahuaro High grad Caitlin Leverenz won the 200m IM at the U.S. Olympic Swim Trials and went on to bring home a bronze medal from the London Olympics.
7) Arizona trackster Brigetta Barrett wins a silver medal at the Games of the 30th Olympiad.
8) Wildcat hoopster and current Denver Nugget Andre Iguodala wears gold thanks to Team USA Olympic Championship win over Spain.
9) 16-year old Greg Anderson continues to dominate the Southwest Junior Tennis circuit.
10) Tyler "Don't call me Terrence Miller" Slavin catches the game-winning touchdown as the Wildcats rally in the final minutes to win the New Mexico Bowl.
11) Mark Lyons' game winning shot lifts Arizona to a one-point win over #6 Florida and certifies December 15th as "Bear Down Saturday".
Here's to more memories in 2013.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
NOTE: Obviously there were so many memorable moments that have taken place in the last 12 months and I couldn't possibly get them all into the two minute segment that aired on FOX 11 Sunday night so for your viewing pleasure you will find two (2) more extended versions of the 2012 Tucson Sports Year in Review located in the Feature Videos column on this page.