Unattended stove blamed for kitchen fire on Tucson's south side - Tucson News Now

Unattended stove blamed for kitchen fire

Posted: Updated:
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

An unattended stove is being blamed for a kitchen fire that damaged a house on Tucson's south side.

According to the Tucson Fire Department, the fire in a home in the 1100 block of East 31st Street started when a woman in the home stepped out of the kitchen while she was heating up some oil for cooking.

The oil caught on fire, which wasn't noticed until the woman's daughters smelled smoke.

Damage to the home was estimated at $10,000.

Everyone escaped the fire without injury. The woman's husband, who was not home, arrived before the firefighters and used a garden hose to begin extinguishing the flames.

Smoke was still coming from the home when fire crews arrived four minutes after being dispatched.

According to the fire department, this was the second fire in three days involving a cooking fire.  TFD says it's a reminder to never leave the kitchen unattended when cooking.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow