Statements on the Vegas Strip shooting, wreck - Tucson News Now

Statements on the Vegas Strip shooting, wreck

The usually bustling pedestrian corner at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road was closed off following the deadly shooting and wreck on Feb. 21, 2013. (Dave Lawrence/FOX5) The usually bustling pedestrian corner at Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road was closed off following the deadly shooting and wreck on Feb. 21, 2013. (Dave Lawrence/FOX5)
LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -

MGM Resorts Vice President for Public Affairs Gordon Absher issued the following statement on Thursday afternoon concerning the shooting and subsequent wreck that claimed three lives:

"Each of our resorts employs fully trained, full-time, professional security departments and our extensive surveillance systems provide law enforcement with valuable assistance, often helping them close cases quickly. We continue to work closely with Metro on this investigation."

The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) issued this statement following Metro Sheriff Doug Gillespie's media briefing on Thursday afternoon:

"The LVCVA, resort partners and law enforcement work closely to maintain a safe and secure experience for our visitors and residents. Recent incidents, while unfortunate, were isolated events. Las Vegas is among the safest travel destinations in the world and utilizes the most advanced technology and training to maintain a secure environment.

"Providing a safe and secure experience is our top priority. According to statistics from the Metro, violent crime in the tourism corridor was down approximately 13 percent in 2012 and is down nearly 11 percent so far this year. Las Vegas continues to be a safe place to visit."

Caesars Entertainment Director of Communications Gary Thompson issued this statement:

"What happened this morning is a terrible tragedy. My deepest sympathies are with the families of those that were lost."

Copyright 2013 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • Officer-involved shooting leaves 1 dead on east side

    Officer-involved shooting leaves 1 dead on east side

    Thursday, October 19 2017 10:25 AM EDT2017-10-19 14:25:47 GMT

    Officers responded to a parking lot near North Pantano and East Wrightstown roads after a reported shooting at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct 18, according to the Tucson Police Department.

    Officers responded to a parking lot near North Pantano and East Wrightstown roads after a reported shooting at about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oct 18, according to the Tucson Police Department.

  • Repair shop manager arrested, facing fraud & theft charges

    Repair shop manager arrested, facing fraud & theft charges

    Wednesday, October 18 2017 11:59 PM EDT2017-10-19 03:59:43 GMT
    Raymond Collins (Source: Tucson Police Department)Raymond Collins (Source: Tucson Police Department)

    Tucson police told Tucson News Now that Raymond Collins, a manager at the Midas at Speedway and Craycroft made false warranty claims, from October 2014 to April 2016, totaling $7,900.

    Tucson police told Tucson News Now that Raymond Collins, a manager at the Midas at Speedway and Craycroft made false warranty claims, from October 2014 to April 2016, totaling $7,900.

  • Code change approved that would let county residents keep chickens

    Code change approved that would let county residents keep chickens

    Wednesday, October 18 2017 11:49 PM EDT2017-10-19 03:49:50 GMT
    (Source: Pablo/Buffer)(Source: Pablo/Buffer)

    The changes allow for up to eight female chickens on single-family dwelling lots or manufactured home lots 6,000 square feet or larger. 

    The changes allow for up to eight female chickens on single-family dwelling lots or manufactured home lots 6,000 square feet or larger. 

Powered by Frankly