Giant Louisiana sinkhole swallows 25 more trees - Tucson News Now

Giant Louisiana sinkhole swallows 25 more trees

Flyover picture of sinkhole on 3-21-13 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP) Flyover picture of sinkhole on 3-21-13 (Source: Assumption Parish OEP)
BAYOU CORNE, LA (WAFB) -

According to the Assumption Parish Police Jury website, the giant Louisiana sinkhole in Assumption Parish swallowed 25 more trees Monday night.

The slough-in happened along the southeastern side of the sinkhole. Also, a new crack, running parallel to the sinkhole edge, was observed on the Oxy 3 well pad access ramp to the sinkhole.

The website states: "Experts with Conservation and CB&I believe the slough-in event is linked to the period of elevated subsurface fluid and gas movement detected late last week in the area around the sinkhole and Oxy 3, as has been observed in previous similar events. At this time, the Oxy3/sinkhole monitoring alert status remains at Code 1, allowing work around the sinkhole to continue, as the slough-in appears to be related to the earlier subsurface activity – however, monitoring is constantly ongoing in the area and Conservation will advise the public of significant changes in subsurface conditions."

On March 13, Texas-Brine, a Houston based company which owns the salt dome that caused the sinkhole, announced they would begin assessing the homes and offering buyouts and settlements for the 350 people evacuated.

Bubbles were spotted in Bayou Corne and Grand Bayou in June 2012. Two months later, the ground opened up and left a nine acre sinkhole. Residents were evacuated and have been for the past seven months. Most affected residents began receiving weekly checks from Texas-Brine in the amount of $875 per week. The sinkhole is now about 12 acres in size.

Copyright 2013 WAFB. All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • Crews extinguish fire in unoccupied Tucson home

    Crews extinguish fire in unoccupied Tucson home

    Thursday, February 22 2018 9:00 AM EST2018-02-22 14:00:22 GMT
    (Source: Tucson Fire Department)(Source: Tucson Fire Department)
    (Source: Tucson Fire Department)(Source: Tucson Fire Department)

    According to a statement from the Tucson Fire Department, the house near East 30th Street and South Craycroft Road was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

    According to a statement from the Tucson Fire Department, the house near East 30th Street and South Craycroft Road was unoccupied at the time of the fire.

  • Last-minute preparations underway for Tucson Rodeo parade

    Last-minute preparations underway for Tucson Rodeo parade

    Thursday, February 22 2018 7:38 AM EST2018-02-22 12:38:00 GMT

    Dozens of people spent Wednesday afternoon putting the finishing touches on their wagons for the annual Tucson Rodeo Parade. There are a total of 81 wagons in this year's parade. Close to 2,400 people and 560 horses will be walking in the parade as well. 

    Dozens of people spent Wednesday afternoon putting the finishing touches on their wagons for the annual Tucson Rodeo Parade. There are a total of 81 wagons in this year's parade. Close to 2,400 people and 560 horses will be walking in the parade as well. 

  • UPDATE: Bond set for Tucson couple in shocking child-abuse case

    UPDATE: Bond set for Tucson couple in shocking child-abuse case

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 11:51 PM EST2018-02-22 04:51:23 GMT
    Benito and Carol Gutierrez, of Tucson, have been accused of abusing their four young adopted children. (Source: Pima County Sheriff's Department)Benito and Carol Gutierrez, of Tucson, have been accused of abusing their four young adopted children. (Source: Pima County Sheriff's Department)

    Benito and Carol Gutierrez have been accused in a disturbing case of child abuse involving their adopted children, authorities said.

    Benito and Carol Gutierrez have been accused in a disturbing case of child abuse involving their adopted children, authorities said.

Powered by Frankly