7 in family safe after Mesa house fire - Tucson News Now

7 in family safe after Mesa house fire

Two adults and five teens escaped injury when their Mesa home caught fire Wednesday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News) Two adults and five teens escaped injury when their Mesa home caught fire Wednesday morning. (Source: CBS 5 News)
MESA, AZ (CBS5) -

Seven people escaped injury after a fire broke out in the basement of their Mesa house Wednesday morning.

Mesa firefighters were called about 4 a.m. to the split-level house near University Drive and Higley Road.

Two adults and five teenagers were in the home but were able to escape, according to Capt. Forrest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department.

The preliminary cause of the fire was a space heater in the basement, the spokesman said.

Smith said it appeared the family had an escape plan that helped keep them safe. He said the family should be able to return to the home after firefighters complete their investigation.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • Pima Co. Flood Control restores Burrowing owl habitat

    Pima Co. Flood Control restores Burrowing owl habitat

    Saturday, May 27 2017 1:17 AM EDT2017-05-27 05:17:54 GMT
    (Source: Pima County)(Source: Pima County)

    Volunteers from Flood Control, Wild at Heart, the Tucson Audubon Society and Tucson Electric Power built 16 new burrows using plastic buckets, tubing, and PVC pipes to mimic natural burrows. These burrows were then covered in rock to provide additional protection to the habitat entrances.  

    Volunteers from Flood Control, Wild at Heart, the Tucson Audubon Society and Tucson Electric Power built 16 new burrows using plastic buckets, tubing, and PVC pipes to mimic natural burrows. These burrows were then covered in rock to provide additional protection to the habitat entrances.  

  • One man dead after officer involved shooting at South Lawn Mortuary

    One man dead after officer involved shooting at South Lawn Mortuary

    Saturday, May 27 2017 1:14 AM EDT2017-05-27 05:14:00 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    The shooting happened at the South Lawn Mortuary cemetery on Friday night and has left one man dead.  The officers involved in the shooting were not hurt, according to Sgt. Bay. 

    The shooting happened at the South Lawn Mortuary cemetery on Friday night and has left one man dead.  The officers involved in the shooting were not hurt, according to Sgt. Bay. 

  • UA VETS Center working to return lost dog tags to U.S. military veterans

    UA VETS Center working to return lost dog tags to U.S. military veterans

    Saturday, May 27 2017 12:58 AM EDT2017-05-27 04:58:58 GMT

    The University of Veterans Education and Transition Services (VETS) is working to return about 2,300 lost dog tags to U.S. military veterans who fought in the Vietnam War. 

    The University of Veterans Education and Transition Services (VETS) is working to return about 2,300 lost dog tags to U.S. military veterans who fought in the Vietnam War. 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Surprising cause of death in teen boating accident creates 'Raven's Rule'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:34 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:34:33 GMT

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

    16-year-old Raven Little-White died in August, after a boating accident on Lake Waccamaw. The medical examiner’s report lists “drowning” as the probable cause of death, but a toxicology report that came back later revealed Raven had actually succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Video shows Midlands restaurant employee pulled by her hair

    Friday, May 26 2017 5:41 PM EDT2017-05-26 21:41:50 GMT

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

    An employee of a popular restaurant at the Village at Sandhill is facing charges after authorities say he grabbed a server by her hair and pulled her to the ground. 

  • Florida woman evicted over massive toy collection

    Florida woman evicted over massive toy collection

    Saturday, May 27 2017 10:46 AM EDT2017-05-27 14:46:01 GMT
    Saturday, May 27 2017 10:46 AM EDT2017-05-27 14:46:01 GMT

    The collection spreads through the living room, kitchen, bedroom and even the bathroom. Appliances and other household items are blocked because there are too many stuffed animals to access them.

    The collection spreads through the living room, kitchen, bedroom and even the bathroom. Appliances and other household items are blocked because there are too many stuffed animals to access them.

Powered by Frankly