Work shop damaged by electrical outlet fire - Tucson News Now

Work shop damaged by electrical outlet fire

Posted: Updated:
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A detached garage used as a work shop in the 600 block of South Turquoise Place was severely damaged in an electrical fire this afternoon.

Tucson Fire responded to a garage fire caused by an unspecified malfunction involving an electrical outlet around 4:30 p.m.

A second dispatch was called after the first engine was not given an address and could not find the burning garage. Tucson Fire says an on-looker got their attention and directed them to the location through an alley.

The unit pulled hose lines into the garage and quickly extinguished the flames and prevented them from spreading to another nearby detached garage.

The rafters of the garage, the owner's tools and other equipment sustained heavy damage. 

The ladder crew shut off the electricity to the garage for safety purposes.  

Despite the initial delay to arrive on scene, eight units and 22 firefighters controlled the fire within five minutes of arriving to the location.

No firefighters were injured and the Red Cross was not needed. 

The estimate of damages was not determined.

Tucson Fire reminds the public to keep a working fire extinguisher in the garage, workshop, or kitchen, and know how to use it. 

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow