Perhaps no Pac-12 freshman position player has made a more significant impact to his team than Arizona's Kevin Newman. Tasked with filling the shoes of 2012 Pac-12 Player of the Year Alex Mejia, Newman has done a marvelous job both at the plate and in the field.
A starter at short in all 36 games, Newman is hitting .345 with 26 runs scored, 23 RBI and eight stolen bases. Just as impressive, Newman has shown solid glovework in the field, committing only three errors to go with 99 assists and a .981 fielding percentage.
The Wildcats begin a three-game Pac-12 series in Palo Alto against the Stanford Cardinal on Friday.
All-Time Series: Stanford leads, 69-101
Streak: UA has won three straight
Last Meetings: March 30-April 1, 2012 (UA swept three games in Tucson)
First Meetings: 1923
Date Time Location (Ballpark) Probable Starters
Fri., April 19 7 p.m. Palo Alto, Calif. (Sunken Diamond) RHP Konner Wade (3-3, 3.86) vs. RHP Mark Appel (6-2, 1.41)
Sat., April 20 2 p.m. Palo Alto, Calif. (Sunken Diamond) RHP James Farris (4-3, 3.70) vs. RHP Dean McArdle (2-1, 4.12)
Sun., April 21 2 p.m. Palo Alto, Calif. (Sunken Diamond) LHP Tyler Crawford (4-1, 2.56) vs. LHP John Hochstatter (2-1, 3.06)
- Arizona has won nine of its last 10 games
- The Wildcats have won their last three Pac-12 series
- Brandon Dixon, Johnny Field and Trent Gilbert rank Nos. 2-4 in the Pac-12 for batting average.
- UA's six-run comeback on Tuesday tied for the sixth-largest in school history.
- UA swept Stanford last season for the first time since 1994.
- Only 26 percent of UA position starts have been made by upperclassmen this season, compared to 53 percent last year.
- UA has 13 victories in its final at-bat since the start of 2012.
- Johnny Field has reached base in 23-straight games.
- UA has won 24 of its last 29 weekend series, with a record of
- Konner Wade is 5-3 with a 2.78 ERA in 103.2 innings pitched away from home in his career.
- Wade is 1-0 with an 0.59 ERA in 15.1 career innings against Stanford.
- James Farris set a career high with 10 strikeouts last week vs. WSU.
- Tyler Crawford is 4-2 with a 2.24 ERA in nine career starts.
- Mathew Troupe has 15 career saves to rank tied for third in UA career history.
Copyright 2013 Arizona Athletics. All rights reserved.
7831 N. Business Park Drive
Tucson, AZ 85743