Kitchen fire displaces Midtown resident - Tucson News Now

Kitchen fire displaces Midtown resident

Posted: Updated:
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A homeowner is displaced after an apparent cooking mishap caused a house fire in her Midtown home this afternoon.

Cooking oil caught flame in the kitchen of the house in the 5000 block of S. Cherry Avenue just before 1:30 p.m., according to Barrett Baker with the Tucson Fire Department

The homeowner said she was warming up oil for cooking purposes when she left the kitchen for an undetermined amount of time. When she looked back to the kitchen, she saw the flames and called 911.

Dispatchers told her to exit the home.

Firefighters reported light smoke coming from the residence and a further investigation revealed smoke banked halfway down the interior walls. A crew brought in hose lines and worked to extinguish the flames while a ladder crew controlled the gas and power, then cut a hole in the roof to allow smoke to escape and increase visibility inside.

Overall, eight units and 21 firefighters extinguished the fire in about eight minutes.

It was determined that the kitchen was destroyed and the homeowner would not be able to stay in the residence.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow