Alert neighbor helps keep damage down in mobile home fire - Tucson News Now

Alert neighbor helps keep damage down in mobile home fire

Posted: Updated:
(Source: Northwest Fire District) (Source: Northwest Fire District)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A porch fire initiated by an improperly disposed cigarette caused extensive damage to a mobile home in the 4300 block of N. Flowing Wells this afternoon.

Capt. Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire District said a neighbor noticed smoke, discovered the porch fire and called 911 just after noon on Monday.

The fire was caused by the careless disposal of a cigarette, which was discarded onto an outdoor carpet, which smoldered for several hours, according to a news release.

Northwest Fire District responded to the scene quickly and contained the fire in under eight minutes.

The female resident was not at home at the time of fire.

The fire department reminds the public that early detection and a prompt call to 911 is the best way to stop a fire from spreading quickly.

The homeowner was not displaced by the fire. Damages were estimated around $1,000.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow