Attorney General: Copper-theft ring broken up, 18 arrested - Tucson News Now

Attorney General: Copper-theft ring broken up, 18 arrested

Nearly $180,000 worth of stolen raw copper ingots were found on a semi-truck that had been pulled over in a traffic stop in September. (Source: Arizona Department of Public Safety) Nearly $180,000 worth of stolen raw copper ingots were found on a semi-truck that had been pulled over in a traffic stop in September. (Source: Arizona Department of Public Safety)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A copper-theft ring that allegedly involved ASARCO employees has been broken up, according to Attorney General Tom Horne.

According to a news release, the multimillion-dollar black market operation relied on inside help from now-fired employees of the Arizona copper producer.

18 people are facing 10 criminal counts, including illegally conducting an enterprise, conspiracy, money laundering, fraudulent schemes and artifices, and theft involving nearly $10 million in stolen raw copper from ASARCO, LLC.

"This is a stunning example of theft on a massive scale," Horne said in the release.  "Copper production is a signature component of our state's economy.  For these defendants to abuse their positions at a mining producer and allow this valuable resource to be stolen and re-sold on the black market is unconscionable."

The Department of Public Safety began investigating the case in September, after nearly $180,000 worth of stolen raw copper ingots were found on a semi-truck that had been pulled over in a traffic stop.

According to the release, DPS investigators determined that several people employed at ASARCO in Hayden, AZ, had allegedly used their positions to facilitate the theft of semi-truck loads of raw copper.

The release said the loads of stolen copper were driven to and sold to recyclers in Arizona and California. From there, the copper, sometimes blackened to disguise it as scrap metal, was resold to Chinese importers, the release said.

Tucson News Now's Sonu Wasu will have more on this story on KOLD News 13 at Noon. She can be followed on Twitter at @SonuWasu.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.

 

  • Local newsMore>>

  • breaking

    UPDATE: Silver Alert canceled as missing man from Surprise found

    UPDATE: Silver Alert canceled as missing man from Surprise found

    Monday, September 25 2017 5:32 PM EDT2017-09-25 21:32:23 GMT
    William Penn (Source: Surprise Police Department)William Penn (Source: Surprise Police Department)

    The Arizona Department of Public Safety has called off the Silver Alert on William Penn.  According to DPS Penn was involved in a crash in northern Arizona, troopers responded to the crash and identified Penn.  

    The Arizona Department of Public Safety has called off the Silver Alert on William Penn.  According to DPS Penn was involved in a crash in northern Arizona, troopers responded to the crash and identified Penn.  

  • Instrument repair programs keep TUSD music alive, save money

    Instrument repair programs keep TUSD music alive, save money

    Monday, September 25 2017 12:44 PM EDT2017-09-25 16:44:12 GMT
    Technicians repair broken instruments for TUSD, keeping music alive for students and saving district money (Source: Tucson News Now)Technicians repair broken instruments for TUSD, keeping music alive for students and saving district money (Source: Tucson News Now)

    Tucson United School District is working to keep music alive in their district by making sure every student who wants to play an instrument has
    an opportunity. But getting an instrument in every student’s hands is not cheap. However, the district is able to save thousands of dollars by having two instrument repair technicians.

    Tucson United School District is working to keep music alive in their district by making sure every student who wants to play an instrument has
    an opportunity. But getting an instrument in every student’s hands is not cheap. However, the district is able to save thousands of dollars by having two instrument repair technicians.

  • North Korea Foreign Minister calls Trump's tweet a 'declaration of war'

    North Korea Foreign Minister calls Trump's tweet a 'declaration of war'

    Monday, September 25 2017 11:54 AM EDT2017-09-25 15:54:17 GMT

    North Korea's Foreign Minister addressed reporters in New York City Monday morning to respond to President Trump's tweet that North Korea "won't be around much longer." The North Korean FM said that Trump's tweet was a declaration of war, and that his country now has every right to shoot down U.S. military planes. The Foreign Minister said the following through a translator: This comes from someone who is currently holding the seat of the United States presidency. This i...

    North Korea's Foreign Minister addressed reporters in New York City Monday morning to respond to President Trump's tweet that North Korea "won't be around much longer." The North Korean FM said that Trump's tweet was a declaration of war, and that his country now has every right to shoot down U.S. military planes. The Foreign Minister said the following through a translator: This comes from someone who is currently holding the seat of the United States presidency. This i...

Powered by Frankly