TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Three restaurant employees who were taken to the hospital Sunday because of heat-related illness symptoms were treated and released. The restaurant, which had been closed and evacuated while the Northwest Fire District Hazardous Materials team investigated has reopened.
The incident occurred at the McDonald's at 8349 N. Cortaro Road, near Cortaro Road and I-10.
According to a news release from Northwest Fire, three women aged 19, 42 and 45 were taken to the hospital after complaints of breathing difficulty, light-headedness and dizziness. The 19-year-old was semi-conscious when paramedics arrived.
Eight other people, all employees, were treated at the scene and released.
The news release said the restaurant manager reported that the kitchen area had been without air conditioning for a week.
The air conditioning units have been repaired and the restaurant is open for business as usual.
Tucson News Now's Barbara Grijalva is following up on this story and will have more on KOLD News 13 tonight at 4, 5, & 6. She can be followed on Twitter at @BGrijalvaKOLD.