Valley man angry after 2 buses break down, driver flips out - Tucson News Now

Valley man angry after 2 buses break down, driver flips out

PHOENIX (CBS5) -

John Stoessel's trip to and from Las Vegas last week has totally changed the way he looks at Greyhound buses.

"This is my first and it will be my last time. I'm never ever taking a bus," Stoessel said.

He said his bus to Vegas broke down twice.

"Bus breaks down in Flagstaff, we made it to Kingman. After that, the bus broke down about 15 miles north of Kingman. We were stranded there for 4 1/2 hours."

The trip that was supposed to land him in Vegas just after 6 a.m. got him there at 2:30 that afternoon. Fourteen hours later, he was back on the bus home.

That bus made it to Cottonwood.

"That's when the bus broke down," Stoessel said.

He said he assumes it was a different bus, but this time he had triple the trouble.  He said the backup bus they sent to bring the travelers home had no air conditioning, and he recorded the bus driver saying this when Stoessel asked for the bus depot's address.

"I came to pick you up so don't start nothing with me," the driver said.

"I was appalled, I'm like are you serious? I mean, when she's yelling at me, I almost wanted to say, 'You know what? Look down and look what you're wearing. You have a job, you were paid to come pick us up. You're not doing us a favor, that's your job.'"

Stoessel has been calling the bus company ever since.  He wasn't able to get in touch of anyone until CBS 5 News started asking questions.  Greyhound officials said they'll refund his ticket and offered him another free one.  Stoessel said thanks, but no thanks.  A Greyhound spokesman said 64 of the other passengers have been given some kind of compensation for their trouble.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Local newsMore>>

Cyclists react as Tucson rated 2nd-deadliest city in U.S.

Thursday, December 14 2017 12:14 AM EST2017-12-14 05:14:32 GMT
    Cyclists react as Tucson rated 2nd-deadliest city in U.S. (Source: Tucson News Now)Cyclists react as Tucson rated 2nd-deadliest city in U.S. (Source: Tucson News Now)

It's not a list you or your home city wants to be on. A new report from Forbes, albeit using the last available national data from 2015, lists Tucson as the second-deadliest city in the country for bicyclists.

Another fatal accident on I-19 raises concerns

Wednesday, December 13 2017 11:58 PM EST2017-12-14 04:58:28 GMT
    DPS crews at scene of fatal crash on I-19 Tuesday. (Source: Tucson News Now)DPS crews at scene of fatal crash on I-19 Tuesday. (Source: Tucson News Now)

Many reasons have been given in the past for the 100 or so memorials that line the roadway from the southern most reaches of Tucson to the 60 or so miles to Nogales.

Video surveillance shows Tucson nonprofit getting hit by burglar again

Wednesday, December 13 2017 11:10 PM EST2017-12-14 04:10:10 GMT

For the second time in three weeks the workers at the St. Vincent de Paul thrift store have had to deal with burglars.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

College student arrested; tried to trade chicken alfredo, Sprite for sex

Wednesday, December 13 2017 3:38 PM EST2017-12-13 20:38:04 GMT

Youngstown State University student Albert Maruna was caught red-handed and arrested this week after he allegedly attempted to have sex with a 15-year-old boy, who turned out to be an undercover officer.

Roy Moore responds after Senate loss to Doug Jones

Wednesday, December 13 2017 10:58 PM EST2017-12-14 03:58:33 GMT
    (Source: Moore campaign)(Source: Moore campaign)

Roy Moore has released a statement following his loss to Senator-elect Doug Jones in Tuesday's election.  Moore released a video to the people of Alabama. The transcript is below: Tomorrow, my wife and I will celebrate our 32nd wedding anniversary. I want to thank her and all my family, for standing with me through this long and arduous campaign. And of course, I want to thank all of you who have stood with me in this very important battle for the future of our country. We ...

Dan Johnson: KY State Rep. kills himself in Bullitt County

Wednesday, December 13 2017 11:29 PM EST2017-12-14 04:29:43 GMT

Kentucky state representative "Pope" Dan Johnson has committed suicide, days after a report surfaced alleging he assaulted a teenage girl in 2013.