Ariel Castro's Seymour Ave. home, Cleveland's west side
Ariel Castro's backyard
Investigators at Ariel Castro's Seymour Avenue home
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -
With his head hanging down, suspected kidnapper Ariel Castro went before a judge on Wednesday morning.
Castro refused to make eye contact with anyone, but did answer the judge when questioned. He provided a simple answer of 'yes' when asked normal questions about the proceedings. Castro also said he has no questions for the court.
Defense attorneys entered a plea of not guilty for Castro earlier this month on nearly 330 charges, including murder. They said in court on Wednesday that they hope to visit Castro's Seymour Avenue home in the near future.
Castro is accused of holding Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight and Gina DeJesus captive in his Cleveland house for more than a decade before they were rescued on May 6.
Berry gave birth to his daughter while in captivity.
Castro's defense attorneys said they are willing to plead guilty to all the charges, but murder. They are hoping the prosecutors will drop the murder charges so they can avoid a lengthy trial and spare the women from testifying.
The judge made sure to tell the prosecutors and Castro's defense team that any potential plea deals must be written out in full first.
Castro remains jailed on $8M.
His next court date is slated for June 26 at 8:45 a.m.
Right now, his trial date is set for August 4, but that should change after Castro waives his right to a speedy trial.