U.S. DOT pledges another $5M for streetcar - with conditions - Tucson News Now

DOT pledges another $5M for streetcar - with conditions

Posted: Updated:
  • Related LinksMore>>

  • Reality Check: Is saving the Streetcar Project really feasible?

    Reality Check: Is saving the Streetcar Project really feasible?

    May 1, 2013 10:00 PM 2013-12-02 21:19:54 GMT
    The controversy surrounding Cincinnati's streetcar just won't go away.  In fact, it has only intensified since FOX19 began asking for status updates on the project and budget. Since we requested those
    The controversy surrounding Cincinnati's streetcar just won't go away. Since FOX19 requested status updates on the project and budget, city administration has turned over documents showing just how far off-budget the project is. So, is the project even financially possible at this point?
  • End of the road for Streetcar Project?

    End of the road for Streetcar Project?

    May 13, 2013 08:55 PM 2013-12-02 21:16:24 GMT
    Cincinnati City Council met Monday to discuss funding needed to continue the streetcar. The $133 million project is facing an estimated $17.4 million deficit.
    Cincinnati City Council met Monday to discuss funding needed to continue the streetcar. The $133 million project is facing an estimated $17.4 million deficit.
  • TIMELINE: Streetcar project

    TIMELINE: Streetcar project

    Monday, July 15 2013 12:50 PM EDT2013-07-15 16:50:05 GMT
    Timeline of the Cincinnati streetcar project
    This interactive timeline will show you the progress of the streetcar up to today.
  • As city works to fill gap in streetcar funding, argument continues

    As city works to fill gap in streetcar funding, argument continues

    Monday, June 17 2013 11:32 PM EDT2013-06-18 03:32:14 GMT
    Prep work for the $133 million streetcar project is moving forward, even though $17.4 million is still needed.  That deficit could be closed soon, pending a vote from council to move some money around.  But,
    Prep work for the $133 million streetcar project is moving forward, even though $17.4 million is still needed.  That deficit could be closed soon, pending a vote from council to move some money around.
  • Work continues this week on Cincinnati streetcar

    Work continues this week on Cincinnati streetcar

    Monday, June 17 2013 6:23 AM EDT2013-06-17 10:23:27 GMT
    Despite Cincinnati's streetcar project needing more than $17 million to be completed, work will continue this week. The city says a Duke Energy underground electric contractor should start work on Walnut
    Despite Cincinnati's streetcar project needing more than $17 million to be completed, work will continue this week.

  • Commissioners ask OKI to pull streetcar funding

    Commissioners ask OKI to pull streetcar funding

    Thursday, May 23 2013 4:35 PM EDT2013-05-23 20:35:04 GMT
    Two Hamilton County Commissioners are requesting that OKI direct funding pledged towards the Cincinnati Streetcar Project elsewhere. OKI, the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments, previously
    Two Hamilton County Commissioners are requesting that OKI direct funding pledged towards the Cincinnati Streetcar Project elsewhere.
CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

The U.S. Department of Transportation has agreed to give the City of Cincinnati an extra $5 million to fund the streetcar project -- with conditions.

U.S. DOT has already committed nearly $40 million for the project.

In a letter addressed to Mayor Mark Mallory dated June 19, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood says up to $5 million in additional assistance will be provided, given the City fulfills several conditions.

City Council must identify at least $17.4 million in non-Federal funds to cover addition project costs.

LaHood also listed these requirements:

  • Construct the full scope of the project, including length, number of stations and station shelters.
  • Restore the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition and passenger information system, which was reduced as a cost-saving measure, to better ensure public safety.
  • Restore to the project a screen or wall that the State Historic Preservation Office requested to shield the power substations from public view.

He says beyond the additional $5 million in assistance, DOT will not provide any further funding.

"I hope that this offer of additional assistance serves to encourage you and the city of Cincinnati's leadership as you work together to take action to ensure that the project is completed in a safe and timely manner," LaHood writes to Mayor Mallory.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow