TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Rural/Metro Fore Department offers tips to help Arizona residents stay cool in the hot Arizona summer months:
- Stay inside when possible.
- Drinkplenty of water. Between 2-3 liters is recommended per day by the Mayo ClinicOnline. If you are outside you will need more.
- Limitany physical activities to the morning or evening time to limit any heat-related emergencies.
- Lightcolor clothing and loose fitting will help the body cool off better.
- If youmust be outside, have a good plan. Have plenty of water for everyone, not justyourself.
- Knowhow long you will be out in the sun, so you don't over extend your exposure.
- Highquality sun screen that will stay on during water activities and make sure toreapply.
- Takemore frequent breaks. If you supervise a crew of workers be easy on them, theymay not be able to do their normal work load because of the heat.
- Shade,Shade and more Shade.
- Rememberyour pets, especially right now because some may still have their winter furstill falling off. Extra water and maybe bring them inside as well.
- Listento each other and pay attention to your health. If you feel dizzy orlightheaded, sit down, rest, get fluids and call 911 if your symptoms persist.
Rural/Metro uses a heat index scale to determine whentraining should be limited or canceled to maintain a readiness foractual emergencies.