Former Room in the Inn director indicted on alleged theft - Tucson News Now

Former Room in the Inn director indicted on alleged theft

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

Money intended to help the city's homeless instead ended up in the pocket of an employee working for a well-known Nashville nonprofit, according to an indictment.

Tammi Newton served as a community director for Room in the Inn. She was fired in April shortly after the group's directors noticed they were missing $75,000.

The case was turned over to the district attorney's office, and their evidence was enough for the grand jury to indict Newton on a charge of theft of property.

Newton was booked into the Davidson County Jail on a $150,000 bond.

For its part, Room in the Inn said it has put in new procedures to prevent something like this from happening.

In a statement to supporters, leaders for the nonprofit said:

"We are deeply saddened about this occurrence and equally committed to righting and resolving this situation. We have learned so very much over the course of the last months and appreciate your prayers and support during this challenging time."

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

  • KOLD Now FeaturingMore>>

  • Room in the Inn director fired after theft

    Room in the Inn director fired after theft

    A director of Room in the Inn was fired after the board of directors discovered $75,000 missing, Channel 4 News has learned. The woman was fired for theft. She had been serving as a community director
    A director of Room in the Inn was fired after the board of directors discovered $75,000 missing, Channel 4 News has learned.
  • Local newsMore>>

  • Computer problems with death certificate database holding up burials

    Computer problems with death certificate database holding up burials

    Wednesday, October 18 2017 1:07 AM EDT2017-10-18 05:07:56 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    The problem is becoming increasingly troubling for some of the smaller funeral homes in Tucson that are running out of refrigeration space. Bring’s Funeral home is currently at capacity, and they worry this has the potential to become a public health crisis. 

    The problem is becoming increasingly troubling for some of the smaller funeral homes in Tucson that are running out of refrigeration space. Bring’s Funeral home is currently at capacity, and they worry this has the potential to become a public health crisis. 

  • Laundry room fire temporarily displaces family of four

    Laundry room fire temporarily displaces family of four

    Wednesday, October 18 2017 12:41 AM EDT2017-10-18 04:41:17 GMT
    Damage from laundry room fire. (Source: Tucson Fire Department)Damage from laundry room fire. (Source: Tucson Fire Department)

    Crews from the Tucson Fire Department responded to a 911 call about a house fire in the 8900 block of East Bears Path Road on the far east side.   

    Crews from the Tucson Fire Department responded to a 911 call about a house fire in the 8900 block of East Bears Path Road on the far east side.   

  • TUSD approves teacher raise

    TUSD approves teacher raise

    Tuesday, October 17 2017 10:37 PM EDT2017-10-18 02:37:46 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    The vote was 5 to 0 in favor of the raise.  

    The vote was 5 to 0 in favor of the raise.  

Powered by Frankly