July 3, 2013 at 3:54 AM MST - Updated July 11 at 6:45 AM
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)
Smoke billowed into sky above midtown Tuesday afternoon from a popular spot at Sixth Street and Tucson Boulevard.
"I come at least weekly, at least once a week," said Rincon Market customer Errol Douglas. "And, seeing this was kind of amazing to me. I was astonished and hoping that nothing bad had happened."
"It's a tough day with, of course, what happened. But, bottom line is, of course, we have our health and everybody got out safe and so, it's a good day," said Rincon Market co-owner Ron Abbott.
Tucson Fire Department sent 48 firefighters to a three-alarm fire that started about 12:30 p.m. above Rincon Market. The fire was later determined to have started from an electrical malfunction. Because the fire was in the attic space, fighting it was difficult and took an hour. While the popular bar Bob Dobbs and other neighboring businesses, such as R Hair Salon, were expected to open the next day, Rincon Market was left with major repairs.
"We employ about 60 people, and I'm concerned where they're going to be at this point," Abbott said.
Abbott awaited word from his insurance company about the extent of the repairs and how long they could take. He said that summer business is slow; however, it is important.
"We're a long-time Tucson family and we're solid and we'll survive it," Abbott said.