TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - Motorists along Interstate 10 are being warned that driving conditions may deteriorate quickly because of strong winds and dusty conditions.
The National Weather Service has issued a blowing dust advisory and a dust storm warning for portions of Pinal County until 3 p.m. The advisories include areas between Tucson and Phoenix, including Casa Grande, Maricopa, Florence and Apache Junction.
Motorists should watch for blowing dust, low visibility and strong winds, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
ADOT also suggests motorists follow these tips when encountering a dust storm:
· Avoid driving into or through a dust storm.
· Do not wait until poor visibility makes it difficult to safely pull off the roadway — do it as soon as possible. Completely exit the highway if you can.
· If you encounter a dust storm, check traffic immediately around your vehicle (front, back and to the side) and begin slowing down.
· Do not stop in a travel lane or in the emergency lane; look for a safe place to pull completely off the paved portion of the roadway.
· Stop the vehicle in a position ensuring it is a safe distance from the main roadway and away from where other vehicles may travel.
· Turn off all vehicle lights, including your emergency flashers.
· Set your emergency brake and take your foot off the brake.
· Stay in the vehicle with your seat belts buckled and wait for the storm to pass.
· Drivers of high-profile vehicles should be especially aware of changing weather conditions and travel at reduced speeds.
· A driver's alertness and safe driving ability is still the No. 1 factor in preventing crashes.
Download the First Alert mobile weather app: http://bit.ly/15BpNSb
For more information on drivers tips, please visit www.PullAsideStayAlive.org.
For the most current information about highway closures and restrictions statewide, visit ADOT's Travel Information Site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1.