GRAYSON COUNTY, KY (WAVE) - There are revealing new details after a man and dog were electrocuted in the water at Rough River Lake.
A submerged shore power cord electrocuted Kyle McGonigle, 38, according to a medical examiner's report released from the Grayson County Coroner's Office.
McGonigle was near the docks at M&D Marina with a group of friends May 20 when one of their dogs became distressed in the water.
"They had been swimming in the water. The dog let out a yelp, and went under," Deputy Coroner Howard Tomes said.
McGonigle and the dog died from low voltage electrocution, according to an autopsy report.
Recently released photos from the Grayson County Coroner show the source of the dangerous situation - two energized cords fell in the water, according to an electrical inspection report.
One of the cords was connected to a power pedestal on the dock. The second cord was plugged into a house boat.
"Where the two cords plug together had somehow gotten into the water," Tomes said. The result caused an energized, deadly area near the dock.
It's not unusual for shore power cords to be present on docks for house boats. However, an electrical inspection report listed several violations, including splices in the cords, non-functioning GFCI receptacles, shore power receptacles in poor condition and broken covers.
An attorney representing some of the family would not comment if there's pending litigation.
Currently, authorities have not identified a person or business at fault. The Grayson County Sheriff's Office has not filed criminal charges.
Copyright 2013 WAVE News. All rights reserved.