Foothills house catches fire from bbq too close to structure - Tucson News Now

Foothills house catches fire from bbq too close to structure

Posted: Updated:
Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro) Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro)
Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro) Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro)
Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro) Finger Rock fire (Source: Rural/Metro)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Rural/Metro responded to an early morning fire in the Catalina Foothills.

The fire, located in the 7100 block of N. Finger Rock Place, happened on the balcony of a home in an unattended BBQ grill, according to Rural/Metro officials.

According to Rural/Metro crews smoke and flames were visible as they approached the scene.  Even with rocky terrain surrounding the home, Rural/Metro crews took quick action to put out the flames.  The home was occupied at the time of the fire, according to Rural/Metro who reported neither firefighters nor the occupants of the home were hurt due to the fire.

Damage estimates are not known at this time, according to Rural/Metro officials.

Rural/Metro would like to remind residents about the dangers of leaving any cooking appliances unattended.  And offers the following tips when using BBQ grills:

Make sure the grill is clean of excess grease prior to use, move the unit away from the home if possible, including out from underneath overhanging patios; ensure the valves are in proper working order and hoses do not have cracks or damage that would leak; lastly when done grilling make sure it is cooled completely before storing or covering.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved

Powered by WorldNow