USC announces probable starter at running back - Tucson News Now

USC announces probable starter at running back

Posted: Updated:
Mike Davis Mike Davis
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) -

The Gamecocks have a starting running back.

University of South Carolina assistant coach Everette Sands said Tuesday after practice Mike Davis would be the team's starting running back against North Carolina next Thursday at Williams-Brice Stadium.

The sophomore ran for 40 yards on two rushes in the Garnet and Black Game and was considered the top back heading into fall practice.

Sands said Brandon Wilds and Shon Carson would also see some action "early" on opening night.

"We'll see all three, but right now Mike is a little bit ahead. He's going to be the starter," said Sands. "But those guys know they're going to play. We have to have all three of them to be as successful as we can be. (Mike) made a few more plays in the scrimmages. All of them are getting better in the pass protection. They can all get it done, he just made a few more plays."

All three backs averaged more than 6 yards per carry in a scrimmage held on August 10.

Head Coach Steve Spurrier has been pleased with Davis' transformation from 2012 to 2013.

"I think you guys watched him a little bit last year," said Spurrier in April. "He was a true freshman. He hadn't really been able to get into our weightlifting and conditioning program. He's a different person," said Spurrier in April. "He's faster, he's quicker, he's tougher, he's stronger."

"Strength and conditioning, they helped me a lot," said Davis during spring practice. "I gained ten pounds. I got stronger, I got faster. I think that's what really helped me a lot."

No matter who lines up in the backfield for the Gamecocks, there are big shoes to fill after Marcus Lattimore left for the NFL after three seasons. Lattimore holds the team record for rushing touchdowns.

The team is scheduled to practice again on Wednesday at 10:15 a.m.

Copyright 2013 WIS. All rights reserved.

  • Southeastern ConferenceMore>>

  • NCAA reaches $70 million concussion lawsuit settlement

    NCAA reaches $70 million concussion lawsuit settlement

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-29 17:28:00 GMT
    The settlement will establish new protocols for head injuries during practices and games and will also prevent athletes from returning to a game after a concussion.
    The settlement will establish new protocols for head injuries during practices and games and will also prevent athletes from returning to a game after a concussion.
  • LIVE BLOG: 2014 SEC Media Days, Day 4

    LIVE BLOG: 2014 SEC Media Days, Day 4

    Thursday, July 17 2014 9:27 AM EDT2014-07-17 13:27:58 GMT

    Welcome to Raycom News Network's live blog from SEC Media Days in Hoover, AL.

    Welcome to Raycom News Network's live blog from SEC Media Days in Hoover, AL.

  • Hot Reads: Ranking the defenses in the SEC

    Hot Reads: Ranking the defenses in the SEC

    Wednesday, July 16 2014 12:55 PM EDT2014-07-16 16:55:17 GMT

    With offenses becoming increasingly explosive, plugging the holes is more imperative than ever. It's no surprise Alabama and Florida top the list, but the rest of the rankings may surprise you.

    With offenses becoming increasingly explosive, plugging the holes is more imperative than ever. It's no surprise Alabama and Florida top the list, but the rest of the rankings may surprise you.

Powered by WorldNow