Parents: 'God forbid another family has to go through what we've - Tucson News Now

Parents: 'God forbid another family has to go through what we've had to endure the past year'

According to the Bullard police chief, the other boys were found guilty for their roles in the assault and they've been punished by the law. According to the Bullard police chief, the other boys were found guilty for their roles in the assault and they've been punished by the law.
BULLARD, TX (KLTV) -

Nearly a year after a Bullard Independent School District student was sexually assaulted on a band trip, the boy's parents say they're still fighting for cooperation from the school district. The boys who assaulted their son have already gone through the juvenile court system. According to the Bullard police chief, they were found guilty for their roles in the assault and they've been punished by the law. But throughout the last year, the victim's parents stumbled across new information that they firmly believe would have stopped the sexual assault from taking place.

The family says they've tried to give the school board and superintendent the opportunity to work with them. But after 11 months of filing complaints, being denied and dismissed, they're frustrated and say they don't have anywhere else to turn.

"There was some horseplay going on... some roughhousing and it went too far and ended up.. My son was sexually assaulted by 4 boys on the back of a band bus," says the father, who is not being identified so as not to reveal his son's identity.

The family that's telling this story didn't learn about what happened from any school officials. They say it was days later when another parent called and told them what had happened. After contacting the school themselves, their son broke his silence about what the boys had done to him.

"Probably the most heartbreaking this is he just put his head down and said he was too embarrassed to tell his mom and dad what happened," said the boy's father.

After that month, the father spoke to the school board. He requested a closed meeting to discuss the incident and how to make sure it never happened again. His request for that meeting wouldn't be granted for months.

A similar incident happened to the parent's other son in 2011. That's when two of the same boys attacked their younger son, picking him up and holding him sideways, then using a crutch to try and shove it in inappropriate places. It's an incident the family thought the school district had handled in 2011.

"The vice principal of the junior high called and told my wife, 'I've punished the boys and called their parents just like I told you I was going to do.' We had no reason to believe anything other than what he had said he had done," said the father.

But after the incident on the bus, the victim's parents learned that school officials never notified the other parents about what had happened in 2011.

In a letter to the superintendent, that administrator says, "I did not call either of their parents and tell them. I gave them a warning."

"Nobody will change my wife and I's opinion that if proper intervention would have been done, with the first incident with our son. We strongly feel that this other incident possibly never would have happened," the father said.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • TUCSON'S TOP 3: What you need to know to start your day

    TUCSON'S TOP 3: What you need to know to start your day

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 8:53 AM EDT2017-08-23 12:53:35 GMT

    Good morning!  We're getting your day started with top stories you may have missed, plus other headlines you need to be following today. For all your local news, watch KOLD News 13 This Morning at 6 a.m.

    Good morning!  We're getting your day started with top stories you may have missed, plus other headlines you need to be following today. For all your local news, watch KOLD News 13 This Morning at 6 a.m.

  • At least four arrested after protest outside President Trump's rally turns violent

    At least four arrested after protest outside President Trump's rally turns violent

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 1:53 AM EDT2017-08-23 05:53:43 GMT
    Crowds outside President Trump's rally. (Source: Tucson News Now)Crowds outside President Trump's rally. (Source: Tucson News Now)

    What started out as calm soon turned to chaos, as people outside the building where President Trump spoke in Phoenix began throwing rocks and bottles at police officers.   

    What started out as calm soon turned to chaos, as people outside the building where President Trump spoke in Phoenix began throwing rocks and bottles at police officers.   

  • THINK ABOUT IT EDITORIAL: KOLD committed to staying on DIRECTV

    THINK ABOUT IT EDITORIAL: KOLD committed to staying on DIRECTV

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 5:44 PM EDT2017-08-22 21:44:38 GMT
    (Source: KOLD News 13)(Source: KOLD News 13)

    We are currently working hard to make sure DIRECTV customers continue to have access to KOLD without interruption. But there is a chance they will not agree to a fair deal, and decide to drop this station from their system. We're committed to keeping you informed every step of the way.  

    We are currently working hard to make sure DIRECTV customers continue to have access to KOLD without interruption. But there is a chance they will not agree to a fair deal, and decide to drop this station from their system. We're committed to keeping you informed every step of the way.  

Powered by Frankly