Five-year-old Kailua girl finds mold in Capri Sun - Tucson News Now

Five-year-old Kailua girl finds mold in Capri Sun

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -

Capri Sun was Riley Anne's favorite drink, until yesterday.

As she described it, "I drank it and I spit it out and I didn't know what it was so I asked JC".

"JC" is her uncle, James Stoddard.  He bought the Capri Sun at Costco Waipio a few weeks back, like he has done countless times before.

"It's always been the family drink" he says of the product.

However, the family drink turned into a family nightmare after he grabbed the pouch from Riley Anne, picked up a pair of scissors and headed to the sink.

"I ended up cutting up the bag, and it had mold in the bag" he said.

The discovery left him shaken.

"I was just grossed out, disgusted by it, to see how that can be in somebody's drink or food.  You never think anything of it until it hits this close to home, and when it hits home that's when you actually think 'oh my god, I don't want to buy Capri Sun products anymore'".

There are several documented cases of people finding mold in Capri Sun.  So many, that the company actually has a disclaimer about it on its website.

The disclaimer on the site reads in part:

"Although it's extremely rare, because Capri Sun does not contain any artificial preservatives, something many moms appreciate, it is possible for food mold to grow inside a pouch that has been punctured and is exposed to air. What usually forms is a common food mold similar to what might grow on fruit or bread. In the past, experts have told us there are no significant or long-term health effects associated with consuming this type of mold, though we understand how bad of an experience it can be for a child to drink."

James went to the Capri Sun Facebook page, and posted a photo of the mold on their wall.  They responded with an introductory private inbox message.  James is still waiting to see what course of action the company takes to make up for the suffering his niece endured.

Regardless of what happens, James says he's rethinking his brand loyalty.

"You don't want to go back to it.  I just have to find a different alternative".

 

Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Video: Teacher appears to do drugs in classroom

    Video: Teacher appears to do drugs in classroom

    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:19 AM EST2017-11-23 16:19:48 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 11:19 AM EST2017-11-23 16:19:48 GMT

    Samantha Cox, 24, who students say teaches English, is now being held on drug charges, including felony possession of a controlled substance.

    Samantha Cox, 24, who students say teaches English, is now being held on drug charges, including felony possession of a controlled substance.

  • 50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

    50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)

    Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

    Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

  • Pastor found dead at parent's home

    Pastor found dead at parent's home

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 6:32 PM EST2017-11-22 23:32:15 GMT
    Quentin Barlow (Source: Family)Quentin Barlow (Source: Family)

    A local pastor was found dead in his family's home Wednesday morning.

    A local pastor was found dead in his family's home Wednesday morning.

Powered by Frankly