TFD: Blow torch causes shed fire - Tucson News Now

TFD: Blow torch causes shed fire

(Source: Barrett Baker) (Source: Barrett Baker)
(Source: Barrett Baker) (Source: Barrett Baker)
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

A shed, hot tub and two jet skis were lost in a backyard fire, according to Tucson Fire Department Capt. Barrett Baker.

A resident was burning weeds with a blow torch earlier in the day and was woken up to his backyard shed fully involved in fire in the 7200 block of East Luana Place around 1 p.m. Saturday.

A neighbor called 911 reporting the fire but didn't know if anyone was home. TFD arrived on scene and pulled a hose line to the backyard through the side gate of the house and began extinguishing the flames. There were no exposures around the shed but several propane tanks inside the shed.

The owner and a neighbor attempted to move the jet skis, which were on a trailer, away from the shed prior to the arrival of TFD units, but they still sustained damage from the heat. The scene was called under control within seven minutes of the first crew arriving on scene. No firefighters were injured during the course of firefighting operations.

Cost of the damages is around $1,000.

Firefighters urge people to never use a torch as a way to remove weeds from a yard. Not only is it illegal in the city but it is also very dangerous. They suggest using alternatives like weed killing chemicals or tools such as a shovel or hoe.

Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved. 

Powered by Frankly