Arizona veteran paired with dog he says saved his life - Tucson News Now

BETTER ARIZONA

Arizona veteran paired with dog he says saved his life

Ryan Bottachiari and Tigger. (Source: CBS 5 News) Ryan Bottachiari and Tigger. (Source: CBS 5 News)
SAN TAN VALLEY, AZ (CBS5) -

On the surface, Ryan Bottachiari and Tigger are like any other man and his best friend.

But what lies beneath is a life-saving bond between a Marine and his dog.

"If it's a night where I've been having bad dreams, he goes right to licking my face and on me. It's amazing. He knows," said Bottachiari.

The 31-year-old San Tan Valley man is a U.S. Marine who returned home this spring from multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The horrors of combat resulted in symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder that Bottachiari said affected his temper, made it tough to sleep and only intensified, especially in crowded situations.

"You can spin it in your head, ‘This is a good thing. I'm a heightened warrior.' You know, it's good that I'm checking every single person's pocket that I go by and looking at everyone and scanning for weapons, eyes."

Bottachiari said his PTSD symptoms included a constant state of stress, trauma and tension.

I was having a tough time even leaving the house without a firearm. Couldn't do it. Couldn't leave the house without a gun," he said.

He knew he needed help, so Bottachiari reached out to Soldier's Best Friend, an Arizona group of veterans, experts and volunteers who train and pair service dogs with veterans.

Bottachiari was matched with Tigger, a nearly 2-year-old Labrador mix, this past summer.

"They steered me toward a strong breed that would make me feel confident and secure," he said.

They have been training together for those situations when Bottachiari's PTSD symptoms start surfacing.

"He pulls my focus onto him when we're in a crowd … I'm thinking about him and I'm looking at him and I know if anything bad did happen, he's there for me," he said.

With Tigger's presence, Bottachiari said he was finally able to sell his guns. It's the first time in 10 years, he says, he hasn't owned one.

"I can realize that's not my place anymore," he said. "There are police officers. I don't have to do that to myself anymore. I can just enjoy my life and he [Tigger] reminds me of that."

But it's more than just one life that's been saved. Tigger, like all the dogs Soldier's Best Friend pairs with a veteran, was rescued from a shelter.

"He saved my life," Bottachiari said about Tigger. "He got rescued. So I guess we saved each other."

Click Soldier's Best Friend for more information about the organization.

Copyright 2013 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Accused serial rapist and killer undetected working as cop

Thursday, April 26 2018 2:39 AM EDT2018-04-26 06:39:08 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 9:00 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:00:37 GMT
    (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli). Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, left, talks to reporters about the arrest Joesph James DeAngelo, seen in photo, on suspicion of committing a string of violent crimes in the 1970's and 1980's after a news conference. ...

The suspected Golden State Killer became less prolific but deadlier after losing his job as a police officer.

Texas gang member executed for killing girl, grandmother

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:55 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:55:40 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 1:23 AM EDT2018-04-26 05:23:56 GMT
    (Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...(Texas Department of Criminal Justice via AP). This undated photo provided by the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shows Erick Davila. Attorneys for the Texas death row inmate want the U.S. Supreme Court to halt his scheduled execution this week fo...
    Attorneys for a condemned Texas prisoner are asking the US Supreme Court to halt his execution for killing a young girl and her grandmother in 2008.

'Golden State Killer' suspect arrested, is former police officer

Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:57 PM EDT2018-04-25 16:57:26 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 4:32 PM EDT2018-04-25 20:32:13 GMT

The 72-year-old suspect has been identified as a former police officer and "nice guy."