The parents of Finley Boyle say their only child will never be the same -- and plan to file suit against the dentist they say is responsible.
The three-year-old girl brought joy to her parents, Evan and Ashley Boyle of Kailua.
"If I was every upset, she was the best," Ashley Boyle said. "She would just come to me and rub my arm and say, 'Mommy, I'm here. Don't cry, it's okay, I'm here.'"
Ashley Boyle brought Finley to Island Dentistry on December 3 for a pediatric root canal from Dr. Lilly Geyer. Boyle said the little girl was given sedatives before the procedure, and then was taken to the dental chair.
Boyle, who works as a nurse at Castle Medical Center, said no one offered to allow her inside the room where the procedure was taking place. She said she was even told that she could leave and get some coffee if she wanted.
"I work on people every day, no one questions my judgment on things, so as a mom, sometimes you just want to step back and be a mom, and not question everything," said Boyle.
Boyle was in the waiting room and was unable to see everything that was going on. She said she only knew something terrible had happened when she could see emergency medical technicians arriving through a back door.
"I saw the EMT's come up through the other glass door and go back there, so I took it upon myself to just go open the door and go back there," said Boyle. "I mean, how do you not tell me we called 911 on your daughter?"
Her lawyer said the girl was given too many sedatives and anesthesia, and she went into cardiac arrest.
"We're just shocked that these drugs, in these doses, in this combination, could be given to a child of this size," said attorney Richard Fried.
Her parents said Finley's brain was damaged when it was deprived of oxygen during cardiac arrest.
"The MRI was more consistent with a lack of oxygen for five or more minutes," said Finley's dad, Evan Boyle.
There was no comment from Island Dentistry, which remained closed Thursday.
Her parents are holding out hope, but admit that the prognosis is not good.
"Probably never going to walk again, or possible be able to feed herself again," said Ashley Boyle. "She's not even responding to commands."
Ashley Boyle cried as she recalled memories of her only child.
"Just sociable, really loved people. Just a really good kid."
Previous story: Trip to dentist turns tragic for Windward Oahu girl
Copyright 2013 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
7831 N. Business Park Drive