Repossessed headstone in Dunklin Co. returned - Tucson News Now

Repossessed headstone in Dunklin Co. returned

(Source: The Duvall Family) (Source: The Duvall Family)
DUNKLIN COUNTY (KFVS) -

The Duvall family updated us Tuesday and said the repossessed headstone was returned that morning.

They say they appreciate everyone's support and are glad to have the stone back.

The company, Whitener Monuments in Kennett, told us Monday they had received the payment for the repossessed stone.

Twenty-three years ago, a Dunklin County family lost their two-year-old son in a tragic accident. A few days before the anniversary of his death, the family went to visit his grave site and found his headstone missing.

The Duvall family couldn't believe what they saw when they got there. Their 2-year-old son Rodney's headstone was missing.

"I was on my way home from work and my wife called me and said that my son's stone was missing," Rodney Duvall said.

Rodney Duvall said they waited for the sheriff at the cemetery. He made a few phone calls and found out the family owed money on the stone.

"They had found the stone," Duvall said. "It had been repossessed due to failure to pay 23 years ago over a $100 debt. I just couldn't believe it."

Duvall said his mother-in-law handled financing the stone at Whitener Monuments in Kennett.

They told us they billed Duvall's mother-in-law, who was the only name on their paperwork.

"Well, since then she had moved and everything else," Duvall said. "Her address now is not the same. So we had no warning in advance or nothing."

Duvall said this only made things tougher for him and his family.

"I think I could have handled the vandalism better than this," Duvall said. "It was just a random act of stupidity. It's hard to explain I guess. He got stolen from us once and when you steal a stone it's like stealing him again."

Copyright 2014 KFVS. All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • APP EXTRA: Sights and sounds from the Trump rally, protests in Phoenix

    APP EXTRA: Sights and sounds from the Trump rally, protests in Phoenix

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 9:07 PM EDT2017-08-24 01:07:02 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    Protests erupted outside President Trump's rally in Phoenix on Tuesday night. While the protests were mostly peaceful, four people were arrested after some in the crowd lashed out at police.

    Protests erupted outside President Trump's rally in Phoenix on Tuesday night. While the protests were mostly peaceful, four people were arrested after some in the crowd lashed out at police.

  • Strong storm downs trees in midtown

    Strong storm downs trees in midtown

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 9:00 PM EDT2017-08-24 01:00:39 GMT
    (Source: Tucson News Now)(Source: Tucson News Now)

    A strong storm moved through midtown Tuesday night August 22, and brought down several trees. One tree fell on building 7 at the Talavera Apartments at Flowing Wells Road and Rodger Rd. 

    A strong storm moved through midtown Tuesday night August 22, and brought down several trees. One tree fell on building 7 at the Talavera Apartments at Flowing Wells Road and Rodger Rd. 

  • Chicken skewers recalled due to possible listeria contamination

    Chicken skewers recalled due to possible listeria contamination

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 8:57 PM EDT2017-08-24 00:57:27 GMT
    (Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service)(Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service)

    Expresco Foods, Inc., a Montreal, Quebec business is voluntarily recalling the products after FSIS import inspectors discovered the problem during a routine inspection of foreign shipments. 

    Expresco Foods, Inc., a Montreal, Quebec business is voluntarily recalling the products after FSIS import inspectors discovered the problem during a routine inspection of foreign shipments. 

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Mother charged with killing teenage daughter

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT
    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:50 AM EDT2017-08-23 10:50:33 GMT

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

    Burned remains found on the mother’s farm were identified as those of her 16-year-old daughter, who she gave up for adoption when she was a baby.

  • Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Solicitor: Suspect in deadly Conway bank robbery to face two counts of murder, other charges

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 6:21 PM EDT2017-08-23 22:21:40 GMT
    Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)Front: Brandon Council (Source: Conway Police), Background: The scene in Greenville, NC where Council was apprehended. (Source: WITN reporter Lynnette Taylor's Facebook Live)

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

    The person of interest in the double-murder and bank robbery in Conway on Monday is in custody. Brandon MIchael Council was arrested in Greenville, North Carolina Wednesday, along with two other people, authorities there confirmed.  Brandon Michael Council was wanted for questioning in connection with the murder of two CresCom bank employees during a bank robbery at the CresCom Bank in Conway on Monday afternoon.

  • Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Police: Mass shooting at gender reveal party was 'in no way random'

    Tuesday, August 22 2017 1:10 PM EDT2017-08-22 17:10:56 GMT
    (Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)(Cheyanne Willis/Facebook)

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

    The Colerain Township woman who said she lost her unborn child during a mass shooting that left 8 injured and one dead was not pregnant, police announced Monday. 

Powered by Frankly