Agencies increase communication to combat child abuse - Tucson News Now

Agencies increase communication to combat child abuse

A panel answers questions from the crowd at Tuesday's training seminar. A panel answers questions from the crowd at Tuesday's training seminar.
  • Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

  • UPDATE: Wildlife officials put down bear that was roaming foothills neighborhood

    UPDATE: Wildlife officials put down bear that was roaming foothills neighborhood

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:46 PM EDT2017-05-25 00:46:44 GMT
    A bear looks into a home in the 5800 block of Bright Star Drive on Wednesday, May 24. (Source: Randy Ross)A bear looks into a home in the 5800 block of Bright Star Drive on Wednesday, May 24. (Source: Randy Ross)

    A black bear was shot and killed after it wandered into a Tucson neighborhood Wednesday morning.

    A black bear was shot and killed after it wandered into a Tucson neighborhood Wednesday morning.

  • UPDATE: Puppy recovering after getting stuck in Yazoo Co. tar

    UPDATE: Puppy recovering after getting stuck in Yazoo Co. tar

    Tuesday, May 23 2017 2:28 PM EDT2017-05-23 18:28:19 GMT
    Source: FLY Animal rescueSource: FLY Animal rescue

    The puppy was spotted under a leaking tar storage container on the public property. According to the animal rescue group that posted about the situation on Facebook, it cried out for help, unable to move as one side of his body and his face were stuck in the substance.  

    The puppy was spotted under a leaking tar storage container on the public property. According to the animal rescue group that posted about the situation on Facebook, it cried out for help, unable to move as one side of his body and his face were stuck in the substance.  

  • Parents make heartbreaking decision over son with autism

    Parents make heartbreaking decision over son with autism

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 11:10 AM EDT2017-05-24 15:10:16 GMT
    KMOV has chosen not to identify him by name or show pictures of what he currently looks like. (Credit: Wallens)KMOV has chosen not to identify him by name or show pictures of what he currently looks like. (Credit: Wallens)

    A parent's love knows no bounds. But what happens when you truly believe your child is going to harm himself or someone else? One family tells News 4 they made a heartbreaking decision about their son with autism, all because they felt they had no other options. 

    A parent's love knows no bounds. But what happens when you truly believe your child is going to harm himself or someone else? One family tells News 4 they made a heartbreaking decision about their son with autism, all because they felt they had no other options. 

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Organizations and agencies from across Southern Arizona are teaming up to increase awareness and communication about child abuse.

More than 100 members of law enforcement, Child ProtectiveServices and healthcare providers packed into a special training seminar onPima Community College's West campus all day Tuesday. 

Sharon Hollingsworth, a program manager for the college'sPublic Safety and Emergency Services Institute, said the response from people in the crowd echoed organizers' reason for the training – more communication among the numerous agencies that handle abuse cases.

"It emphasized that this type of information really needs to be discussed," said Hollingsworth. "We have to have collaboration between the organizations to really understand what our role is in the prevention of child abuse."

Southern Arizona Children's Advocacy Center asked the college to help host Tuesday's seminar, according to Dr. Dale Woolridge. As the medical director of SACAC, Woolridge said an increase in child abuse cases in the last couple of years prompted the agency to put on the event.

"The reality of it is that child abuse is one of the most underreported crimes," he said. "It happens everywhere."

In his presentation, Woolridge used statistics to highlight the seriousness of child abuse.

Abused children under the age of three returned to their homes have a 50% chance of being abused again he said. Their chance of death is10%, but that number jumps to 40% for children younger than 1 year old.

It isn't always obvious when or where child abuse happens.Presenters discussed the warning signs of child abuse, so that first responders like law enforcement have a better understanding of what to look for when they're handling a separate incident in a home.

Officer Phillip Smith with Globe Police Department traveled more than 100 miles for Tuesday's conference. He said the information is helpful for police, because some folks will go to great lengths to cover up any signs of abuse.

He said you should not hold back if you suspect a child has been or is being abused.

"We'd rather have acase or a concern shared and reported and it be nothing than have some child or vulnerable adult or anybody become a victim and continue to be a victim because it was not reported," said Smith.

All of Tuesday's training has been recorded, so interested agencies can contact PCC's Public Safety and Emergency Services Institute for a copy or more information.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Parents make heartbreaking decision over son with autism

    Parents make heartbreaking decision over son with autism

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 11:10 AM EDT2017-05-24 15:10:16 GMT
    KMOV has chosen not to identify him by name or show pictures of what he currently looks like. (Credit: Wallens)KMOV has chosen not to identify him by name or show pictures of what he currently looks like. (Credit: Wallens)

    A parent's love knows no bounds. But what happens when you truly believe your child is going to harm himself or someone else? One family tells News 4 they made a heartbreaking decision about their son with autism, all because they felt they had no other options. 

    A parent's love knows no bounds. But what happens when you truly believe your child is going to harm himself or someone else? One family tells News 4 they made a heartbreaking decision about their son with autism, all because they felt they had no other options. 

  • Pregnant teen blocked from walking at graduation

    Pregnant teen blocked from walking at graduation

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 2:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 06:45:22 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 2:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 06:45:22 GMT

    The school principal says the student and her parents signed a covenant, vowing the teen wouldn’t have sex.

    The school principal says the student and her parents signed a covenant, vowing the teen wouldn’t have sex.

  • VIDEO: Arkansas woman goes on racist rant at Walmart

    VIDEO: Arkansas woman goes on racist rant at Walmart

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 3:49 PM EDT2017-05-24 19:49:38 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 4:33 PM EDT2017-05-24 20:33:23 GMT

    Eva Hicks was on a normal grocery trip before turning down the medicine aisle at her local Walmart. That's why she encountered another female shopper who had choice words for her.

    Eva Hicks was on a normal grocery trip before turning down the medicine aisle at her local Walmart. That's why she encountered another female shopper who had choice words for her.

Powered by Frankly