Wildcats fans clash with police following Elite Eight loss to Wi - Tucson News Now

Wildcats fans clash with police following Elite Eight loss to Wisconsin

Posted: Updated:
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

Tucson Police responded with force against crowds of people who remained on University Boulevard following a disappointing loss against Wisconsin in the Elite Eight game Saturday night.

Officers made 15 misdemeanor arrests for various charges, including unlawful assembly, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest, according to Tucson Police Public Information Officer Sergeant Pete Dugan.

14 of those arrested were cited and released and one remained in jail. It is yet unknown whether any of those arrested were University of Arizona students.

Game watchers at the Frog and Firkin, Gentle Ben's and neighboring restaurants began to leave the area quietly after the game but many remained on University Boulevard as officers also stood by.

At least eight police squads were present at main gate square upon the start of the game, including motor patrols, DUI squads, masked officers armed with batons, some with firearms. Minutes after the second half of the game, air units were heard flying overhead.

Dugan said police gave lingering crowds multiple dispersion warnings. Some people threw water and beer bottles at officers and set off firecrackers, some of which were fired under police vehicles, according to Dugan.

Officers deployed roughly 200 pepperballs, nine vapor aerosol canisters and four rounds of foam balls at crowds. Officers also fired two plastic Arwen rounds, which are target specific and usually shot at the leg, police said.

Preliminary assessment from police showed there were at least three reported injuries, which included an injured shoulder and road rash sustained during an arrest.

Crowds began to disperse within an hour after the disruption, which peaked sometime around 9 p.m. Police remained on-scene to survey the aftermath.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow