Port Clinton bomb hoax distraction for nearby robbery - Tucson News Now

Port Clinton bomb hoax distraction for nearby robbery

Several law enforcement agencies responded to the alleged bomb threat at Port Clinton High School Tuesday morning. Several law enforcement agencies responded to the alleged bomb threat at Port Clinton High School Tuesday morning.
Surveillance footage shows the man walk into Mickey's Smoke Shop with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk. Surveillance footage shows the man walk into Mickey's Smoke Shop with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk.
PORT CLINTON, OH (Toledo News Now) -

Port Clinton police say last week's investigation into the bomb threat at the town's high school took an interesting turn when investigators discovered the threat was actually related to another crime. The department says the threat was connected to a robbery at Mickey's Smoke Shop just over a mile from the school.

Surveillance video from the store shows a man in a dark sweatshirt walk inside with a baseball bat and demand money from the clerk. This was all happening while several law enforcement agencies were responding to a bomb threat at Port Clinton High School.

"When the robbery call came in, us cops only think the worst. One of the first things that I thought - and the chief thought - was that this was a diversion," explained Sgt. Corbin Carpenter.

After investigating, Port Clinton police arrested a suspect for the robbery and bomb threat. He has not been formally charged, but police say he did allude to making the phony bomb threat as a way to draw attention away from the smoke shop.

"I've been a police officer in Port Clinton for 16 years, and this is the first time I've seen anyone go to such an extreme, as to calling a bomb threat to a school just to do a robbery," said Carpenter.

The suspect stole $576 and a couple cartons of cigarettes.

Police say he will be charged with aggravated robbery, inducing panic, making a false report and disrupting public service.

Police are not releasing the man's name at this time. They are currently investigating to determine if anyone else was involved. If you have any information that could help police, contact Det. Sgt. Corbin Carpenter at 419-734-3121.

Mobile users, click on the "Video" button in the app to watch this story. Download our app here.

Copyright 2014 Toledo News Now. All rights reserved.

  • KOLD Now FeaturingMore>>

  • CONNECT WITH US

    CONNECT WITH US

    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & video
    LIKE us on Facebook - Follow us on Twitter -  Get Text & Email Alerts - Download our Apps - Send us photos & video
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • American ISIS wife endured horror, now wants to come home

    American ISIS wife endured horror, now wants to come home

    Thursday, April 19 2018 7:26 PM EDT2018-04-19 23:26:55 GMT
    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:02 PM EDT2018-04-20 01:02:08 GMT

    Sam Sally says she was coerced by her husband, who has since died, into crossing into ISIS territory while on vacation in Turkey four years ago.

    Sam Sally says she was coerced by her husband, who has since died, into crossing into ISIS territory while on vacation in Turkey four years ago.

  • AL mother pleads for drivers to put down distractions while driving

    AL mother pleads for drivers to put down distractions while driving

    Wednesday, April 18 2018 7:07 AM EDT2018-04-18 11:07:42 GMT
    April is distracted driving awareness month (Source: Michelle Lunsford)April is distracted driving awareness month (Source: Michelle Lunsford)
    April is distracted driving awareness month (Source: Michelle Lunsford)April is distracted driving awareness month (Source: Michelle Lunsford)

    April is distracted driving awareness month, and a mother from Alabaster hopes her daughter's story will convince you to keep both eyes on the road at all times. 

    April is distracted driving awareness month, and a mother from Alabaster hopes her daughter's story will convince you to keep both eyes on the road at all times. 

  • Trump will skip Barbara Bush funeral, sending first lady

    Trump will skip Barbara Bush funeral, sending first lady

    Thursday, April 19 2018 6:42 PM EDT2018-04-19 22:42:41 GMT
    Friday, April 20 2018 1:06 AM EDT2018-04-20 05:06:00 GMT
    (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump walks down the stairs of Air Force One during his arrival at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Fla., Thursday, April 19, 2018.(AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais). President Donald Trump walks down the stairs of Air Force One during his arrival at Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Fla., Thursday, April 19, 2018.
    President Donald Trump is not planning to attend the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush, choosing instead to send his wife, first lady Melania Trump. Trump frequently assailed members of the Bush family...
    President Donald Trump is not planning to attend the funeral of former first lady Barbara Bush, choosing instead to send his wife, first lady Melania Trump. Trump frequently assailed members of the Bush family during his 2016 campaign.
Powered by Frankly