ONLY ON KOLD: One bad bite - Tucson News Now

ONLY ON KOLD: One bad bite

Posted: Updated:
Jay Killen struggles to even eat a spoonful of chocolate pudding after more than two years in and out of the hospital. Jay Killen struggles to even eat a spoonful of chocolate pudding after more than two years in and out of the hospital.
  • Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

  • Union Pacific working to get train cars back on track near Picacho Peak

    Union Pacific working to get train cars back on track near Picacho Peak

    Union Pacific working to get train cars back on track near Picacho Peak

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 11:22 AM EDT2014-09-16 15:22:35 GMT
    Crews are still working to clear the tracks after an overnight derailment in Pinal County. There were no injuries reported and nothing hazardous was on the train cars. Authorities say the track could be cleared up of cars by noon.
    Crews are still working to clear the tracks after an overnight derailment in Pinal County. There were no injuries reported and nothing hazardous was on the train cars. Authorities say the track could be cleared up of cars by noon.
  • Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Ocean Springs mom warning parents about app

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:00 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:00:09 GMT
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate.
    An Ocean Springs mom is sending a warning to South Mississippi parents. Katrina Johnson wants every parent to be aware of an app that she says is being used by many students to spread hate. Johnson discovered the posts last week, and she says what she read would make parents cringe.
  • Are you prepared for an emergency?

    Are you prepared for an emergency?

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-09-16 12:58:01 GMT
    September is National Preparedness Month and officials are giving a list of the basics that the public should always have on hand in case of an emergency. Always have water, a battery powered flashlight and a first aid kit and have them on hand before an emergency hits. 
    September is National Preparedness Month and officials are giving a list of the basics that the public should always have on hand in case of an emergency. Always have water, a battery powered flashlight and a first aid kit and have them on hand before an emergency hits. 

A man is fighting to stay alive after his wife says one bad bite of food destroyed their lives.

Mid-South doctors had never seen a case like this before; it is a condition so rare, they contacted the Department of Homeland Security.

"One thing he ate changed our entire lives," Amanda Killen said.

Jay Killen struggles to even eat a spoonful of chocolate pudding after more than two years in and out of the hospital.

"This is the first I've been able to feed myself," Jay said.

Around Thanksgiving, in 2011, Jay got sick.

"I thought I was having a stroke or something," he explained.

So did doctors in the emergency room.

He was unable to move or even breathe; Jay was hooked up to a ventilator and placed in intensive care. By Day 6, doctors prepared to declare the 40-something former construction worker brain dead.

"He took me right outside the room and said, 'I have to tell you that it doesn't look good,'" his wife said.

Paralyzed and unable to speak, Jay was desperate to let everyone know he was awake and aware of his dire circumstances.

"I said 'God, please! Please help me show them I'm here.'"

Amanda played Jay's favorite music at his bedside and noted his leg moved in rhythm. Amanda's mother demanded doctors investigate.

"He said, 'Jay, move your leg.' I did," Jay said.

"He (the doctor) said, 'We've got this wrong.' He said, 'We need to figure out what this is but it's not what we think it is,'" Amanda said.

After conferring with researchers at the Centers for Disease Control, doctors determined Jay had contracted botulism. It's a disease that affects fewer than 150 people a year in the United States.

"It paralyzes all of your voluntary muscle function," Amanda explained.

The rare illness is caused by eating food containing the toxic bacteria botulinum. Moving your body and the simple acts of swallowing, blinking, and breathing becomes impossible. Jay was on a ventilator for 11 months. Adult cases of botulism are so rare, the Department of Homeland Security launched an investigation into the source of Jay's infection.

"It may have been a can of beets we had," Amanda said.

The Centers for Disease Control warns food borne botulism can come from home-canned foods with low acid content, such as asparagus, green beans, beets, and corn. It is caused by failure to follow proper canning methods.

Cases have also been linked to store-bought canned goods that were improperly handled by manufacturers, retailers, or consumers. Examples include chopped garlic oil, canned cheese sauce, chili peppers, tomatoes, carrot juice and baked potatoes wrapped in foil.

"You get to the point where it really doesn't matter where it came from because it's not going to change anything," Amanda explained.

"Yeah, it's done. You got it. Deal with it," Jay added.

After months tending to her husband, Amanda returned to work, in part, to preserve their health insurance. Jay was unable to even push a nurse call button, so volunteers signed up for weekly two- and three-hour shifts.

"These people showed up week after week. I know I got calls if someone couldn't be there to substitute," said the couple's friend, Malisa Burgess.

Jay couldn't speak but regained his ability to blink. Blinking became his means of communication as visitors recited the alphabet.

"I would say at ‘A,' and I'd say the alphabet, and he'd stop me on the letter I'd write down. And then we'd go to the next letter," Amanda said.

"It was the grace of God and the grace of mankind that I was alive," Jay said.

Now in occupational therapy, Jay refuses to let botulism beat him, and he hopes his story of survival, thanks to family and friends and his faith, serves as a warning.

"If you have a canned product, if it's dented, return it. Throw it away. Don't eat it," Jay said.

An interesting side effect from Jay's illness is that he has fewer wrinkles. Botulism comes from the same toxin used in Botox cosmetic procedures.

Copyright 2014 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

  • Special ReportsMore>>

  • ONLY ON KOLD: Crossing the line

    ONLY ON KOLD: Crossing the line

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:19 AM EDT2014-07-30 05:19:04 GMT
    This has exploded into what's arguably the biggest immigration story in the world today and Tucson is right in the middle of it. Som Lisaius reports.
    This has exploded into what's arguably the biggest immigration story in the world today and Tucson is right in the middle of it. Som Lisaius reports.
  • ONLY ON KOLD: Cartel lookout homes revealed

    ONLY ON KOLD: Cartel lookout homes revealed

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:25 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:25:04 GMT
    The border crisis has all eyes on the surge of illegal immigrants pouring into Texas with transports coming to Southern Arizona.
    The border crisis has all eyes on the surge of illegal immigrants pouring into Texas with transports coming to Southern Arizona.
  • ONLY ON KOLD: Flood dangers

    ONLY ON KOLD: Flood dangers

    Tuesday, July 8 2014 3:25 PM EDT2014-07-08 19:25:23 GMT

    Flood dangers range from a threat to your family, to your home, to your wallet. Find out what risk you face and what the price for coverage could be.

    Flood dangers range from a threat to your family, to your home, to your wallet. Find out what risk you face and what the price for coverage could be.

Powered by WorldNow