Toddler nearly drowns hours after leaving pool - Tucson News Now

Toddler nearly drowns hours after leaving pool

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

Two-year-old Aliycea Sanders is laughing and playing after recovering from a scary ordeal over the weekend.

She nearly drowned hours after she left a hotel pool. Her mother recognized the symptoms of dry drowning thanks to a recent report by KCTV5's Amy Anderson.

After leaving the hotel pool, the family was active.

"She seemed totally fine. We went shopping, had lunch," Tiffany Eidson, the child's mother, explained.

Looking back, she noticed that her little girl was sleepy and quiet. She laid her down for a nap and then noticed her daughter was choking in her sleep.

"She started gagging and was losing breath. We picked her up. Her dad tipped her over," she said. "I was doing compressions on her back and she stopped breathing because she had water coming out of her nose and mouth."

Eidson had seen Anderson's report so she recognized the symptoms of dry drowning in her baby girl.

If it wasn't for her being right next to us and how quickly we noticed the little bit of water she was sprinkling when she coughed I wouldn't have freaked out and grabbed her up to help her," she posted on KCTV5's Facebook page. "Thanks to the news and the article they did a few weeks earlier I knew the signs of dry drowning and the steps to take which saved our baby girls life by immediately performing CPR and rushing her to the hospital !! I just want to make everyone aware and beg you to pass the word on!! IT'S REAL AND IT DOES HAPPEN, please watch your babies closely after swimming even if they were barely in the water!!!"

They then got her to the hospital.

Because of Anderson's report, the family demanded that doctors perform tests to confirm Aliycea's condition.

Dr. Sarah Hohen of the University of Kansas Medical Center explained that secondary drowning is when water gets below the vocal chords and inflammation sets in the lungs.

It's not easy to detect and comes on quickly. The coughing and choking will occur within 12 to 24 hours of leaving the water.

Eidson hopes her story will raise additional awareness.

"All my friends have kids and I have warned all of them: please watch your babies after they're in any bit of water," she said.

Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

  • Local newsMore>>

  • New gear for first responders thanks to Prop 101

    New gear for first responders thanks to Prop 101

    Monday, November 20 2017 8:15 PM EST2017-11-21 01:15:30 GMT
    New gear for TFD and TPD (Source: Tucson News Now)New gear for TFD and TPD (Source: Tucson News Now)

    In May, Tucson city voters decided to approve raising taxes to resurface city streets and replace Tucson police and fire departments' aging fleets and equipment.

    In May, Tucson city voters decided to approve raising taxes to resurface city streets and replace Tucson police and fire departments' aging fleets and equipment.

  • KOLD Investigates: Big rig danger

    KOLD Investigates: Big rig danger

    Monday, November 20 2017 8:14 PM EST2017-11-21 01:14:19 GMT

    KOLD investigates the dangers surrounding one of our nation's most popular professions.

    KOLD investigates the dangers surrounding one of our nation's most popular professions.

  • Tucson boy attempts to put out guest house fire with garden hose

    Tucson boy attempts to put out guest house fire with garden hose

    Monday, November 20 2017 7:27 PM EST2017-11-21 00:27:44 GMT
    Tucson Fire Department crews put out guest house fire in midtown. (Source: Tucson News Now)Tucson Fire Department crews put out guest house fire in midtown. (Source: Tucson News Now)

    It happened around 2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 20 on Speedway and Main, near Pima Community College, according to the Tucson Fire Department.  TFD officials say a little boy, who lives in the main house, tried to put out the flames with a garden hose. It didn't work. 

    It happened around 2 p.m. Monday, Nov. 20 on Speedway and Main, near Pima Community College, according to the Tucson Fire Department.  TFD officials say a little boy, who lives in the main house, tried to put out the flames with a garden hose. It didn't work. 

Powered by Frankly