Firefighters extinguish fire at Longview Coors facility - Tucson News Now

Firefighters extinguish fire at Longview Coors facility

Several firefighters received IVs to treat for dehydration (Source: KLTV staff) Several firefighters received IVs to treat for dehydration (Source: KLTV staff)
The fire flared up just before noon on Tuesday. (Source: KLTV staff) The fire flared up just before noon on Tuesday. (Source: KLTV staff)
Smoke was seen from atop the KLTV Longview studios in downtown Longview. (Source KLTV) Smoke was seen from atop the KLTV Longview studios in downtown Longview. (Source KLTV)
LONGVIEW, TX (KLTV) - Firefighters have extinguished a fire at the Coors distribution facility in East Longview on Tuesday afternoon.

According to Longview Fire Department Battalion Chief Steven Green, the fire was contained around 2:30 p.m. and then completely extinguished.

The fire was reported around 10:30 a.m. by the Longview Fire Department. Smoke could be seen billowing from the building in the 2000 block of East Cotton Street.

All employees were able to evacuate the building before the fire department showed up. Crews arrived around 10:25 a.m. and were able to gain access to the building by cutting through walls. The fire was controlled just before 10:50 a.m. but Longview Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary said the fire flared up again just before noon and a second alarm was called out. Insulation inside the building kept reigniting, making it difficult for firefighters to control the blaze.

Crews remained in the building to battle the blaze, which was brought back under control just after 1 p.m. At 2:30 p.m., flames were no longer visible from outside the building. An hour of significant rainfall on Tuesday afternoon helped crews contain the flames.

Authorities say the smoke coming from the fire was toxic for firefighters inside the building, but not to people in the surrounding area. No evacuations were ordered.

According to Lezli Chappell, a Coors spokesperson, it is believed the fire was caused by an A/C crew working on a unit at the back of the building where coolers store kegs of beer. Officials think a torch ignited insulation, starting the fire.

There is no word yet if any of the offices in the front of facility can be saved. The entire facility likely received major smoke damage.

Several firefighters were treated on the scene of minor injuries, such as sprains. A few were given IVs to treat dehydration.

Traffic from Eastman Road entering downtown on East Cotton was redirected onto Gum Springs Road, according to Officer Kristie Brian. Westbound traffic on Cotton to Eastman Road was also shut down.

According to their website, Coors of Longview occupies a 47,000 square foot facility with 20,000 square feet of cold storage. The company reports the facility employs 60 individuals at the Longview facility. Coors of Longview distributes over 60 products from the facility in Longview.

Kilgore and White Oak fire departments were on call to cover Longview because so many Longview units were on scene at the Coors facility.

Copyright 2014 KLTV. All rights reserved.
  • Local newsMore>>

  • Hearings begin for TEP solar rate case

    Hearings begin for TEP solar rate case

    Monday, October 23 2017 9:39 AM EDT2017-10-23 13:39:55 GMT

    TEP’s rate case will go before the Arizona Corporation Commission starting Monday, Oct. 23. The utility is asking for increased rates for new solar customers, claiming the new rates would reflect the current solar market. TEP said those affected would see a $14 increase on their monthly bill, but would still see an $85 monthly savings by going solar. But many solar activists are not onboard with this idea, saying the new rates are TEP?...

    TEP’s rate case will go before the Arizona Corporation Commission starting Monday, Oct. 23. The utility is asking for increased rates for new solar customers, claiming the new rates would reflect the current solar market. TEP said those affected would see a $14 increase on their monthly bill, but wou

  • Vegetable products recalled over Listeria concerns

    Vegetable products recalled over Listeria concerns

    Monday, October 23 2017 8:47 AM EDT2017-10-23 12:47:09 GMT
    (Source: www.veggiesmadeeasy.com)(Source: www.veggiesmadeeasy.com)

    Mann Packing has issued a voluntary recall of many vegetable products after Listeria monocytogenes was found in a sample. Listeria can cause serious even deadly infections in kids and people with weak immune systems.  The recalled products have “best if used by” dates from October 11 to October 20, and were distributed throughout the U.S. and Canada. The company issued the following news release, which contains the full list of affected products. Manns Recalls Pro...

    Mann Packing has issued a voluntary recall of many vegetable products after Listeria monocytogenes was found in a sample. Listeria can cause serious even deadly infections in kids and people with weak immune systems.  The recalled products have “best if used by” dates from October 11 to October 20, and were distributed throughout the U.S. and Canada. The company issued the following news release, which contains the full list of affected products. Manns Recalls Pro...

  • No injuries in Douglas house fire Sunday morning

    No injuries in Douglas house fire Sunday morning

    Sunday, October 22 2017 11:02 PM EDT2017-10-23 03:02:16 GMT
    Source: Ralph RoblesSource: Ralph Robles

    A home is destroyed in Douglas and firefighters are still working to figure out how it started.

    A home is destroyed in Douglas and firefighters are still working to figure out how it started.

Powered by Frankly