Israel agrees to halt in fire after children die in strike - Tucson News Now

Israel agrees to halt in fire after children die in strike

Posted: Updated:
Israel has agreed to a humanitarian cease-fire in its airstrikes on Gaza after children hit by strike. (Source: Gaza Health Ministry/CNN) Israel has agreed to a humanitarian cease-fire in its airstrikes on Gaza after children hit by strike. (Source: Gaza Health Ministry/CNN)
  • InternationalMore>>

  • Gas explosions kill 24, injure 271 in Taiwan

    Gas explosions kill 24, injure 271 in Taiwan

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:09 PM EDT2014-08-01 03:09:24 GMT
    Taiwan's National Fire Agency says 15 people were killed and 228 were injured a series of gas leak explosions in a southwestern city.
    At least 24 people were killed and 271 others injured when several underground gas explosions ripped through Taiwan's second-largest city overnight, hurling concrete through the air and blasting long trenches in the...
  • Death toll hits 51 from mudslide in Indian village

    Death toll hits 51 from mudslide in Indian village

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-08-01 02:34:24 GMT
    Rescue workers and desperate villagers dug through deep mud, rocks and the debris of shattered homes Thursday after a massive landslide buried a remote village in western India, killing at least 24 people and...
    Heavy rains hampered efforts Friday by hundreds of rescue workers digging through heavy mud and debris, as the death toll from a landslide that engulfed an entire village in western India rose to 51.
  • Gaza truce comes after days of pushing for a deal

    Gaza truce comes after days of pushing for a deal

    Thursday, July 31 2014 9:16 PM EDT2014-08-01 01:16:07 GMT
    The United States and United Nations are announcing that Israel and Hamas have agreed to a humanitarian cease-fire to start Friday morning for 72 hours.
    Hours past midnight Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was still working the phones, trying to come up with a cease-fire plan to stop the bloodshed in the Gaza Strip. He'd been pushing for a deal all day - in...
GAZA CITY, GAZA (Gaza Health Ministry/CNN) - Four children have been killed in a refugee camp in northern Gaza from a round fired by an Israeli ship.

It comes after Israel Defense Forces say they've attacked more than 50 Hamas targets in Gaza.

Israel says it warned residents to leave the area ahead of the airstrikes.

An Israeli and 209 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict.

Diplomatic efforts to end the conflict in Gaza sputtered Wednesday amid Hamas' rejection of Egyptian efforts to broker a deal and rising anger over civilian deaths, including those of the four children killed while playing on the beach.

The boys, ages 9 to 11, died on Wednesday when a shell from an Israeli gunship exploded near them at the Al-Shati refugee camp in northern Gaza, according to Palestinian officials.

U.N. officials asked the Israeli government on Wednesday to call a temporary cease-fire to meet humanitarian needs. The Israeli government agreed  in order to meet humanitarian needs in Gaza. The expected pause in military activities will be between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. local time Thursday.

An Israeli official said the deadly shelling was another example of Hamas using civilians as human shields, intimating that the boys had been left to play near a rocket launcher.

"What they are deliberately doing is seeking to kill as many Palestinians as possible in order to yell to the world to, 'Help us,'" Israeli Cabinet member Naftali Bennett said. "This is cynical and this is cowardly."

A Hamas official, however, called the shelling by an Israeli gunship a "massacre" and a "war crime" and demanded U.N. action.

"Those children were not firing rockets, they were just playing," Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zhuri said.

Israel's military said it was aware of the report and was investigating. The military, spokesman Brig. Gen. Moti Almoz said, never intentionally targets civilians.

The incident is sure to inflame already raw emotions over civilian deaths in Gaza where at least 220 Palestinians have died and some 1,500 have been injured since Israel began its anti-Hamas military operation on July 7, according to Palestinian health officials.

The one fatality on the Israeli side so far occurred Monday when a mortar shell hit a man at the Erez border crossing, Israeli Rescue Services said.

Hamas rejects cease-fire

An initial effort to end the killing stalled Tuesday when Israel resumed airstrikes following a brief, one-sided cease-fire brokered by Egypt. While Israel paused for six hours, Hamas leaders rejected the deal and continued firing rockets.

They said they had not been consulted and complained the deal did not address their demands for greater freedom for Gaza's 1.8 million residents.

"The initiative is no longer acceptable, and there is no basis for the continuation of this initiative," Hamas spokesman Sameh Abu Zouhry said on Wednesday.

On Wednesday, Hamas officials formally rejected the initial cease-fire proposal and declined to join talks in Cairo between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

Like Israel, Egypt considers Hamas a terror organization because of the group's roots in the Muslim Brotherhood, which Egypt's military-led government banned after the country's 2013 coup.

Hamas officials said they are not opposed to a cease-fire, but want to see a broad agreement that would, among other things, end restrictions on border crossings that they say are choking the life out of Gaza's 1.8 million residents.

"I think what they want is to see a cease-fire agreement that addresses the real problems that they face and the system of violence that is this siege, that is the occupation, so that it can be a genuine cease-fire agreement that brings an end to hostilities, not just from one side,"  said Yousef Munayyer, executive director of the Palestine Center, a pro-Palestinian think tank.

But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Wednesday that Hamas had brought the continued Israeli operation on itself after rejecting the Egyptian-brokered cease-fire.

"We held our fire for six hours and during that time, Hamas continued to barrage our cities with rockets," Netanyahu said. "Hamas thus shut the door to a diplomatic solution, and it therefore bears sole the responsibility for the continuation of the violence."

Former Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Nabil Shaath said Hamas has legitimate complaints about how Israel has implemented past accords.

"Gaza is still fully under siege. And none of the agreements that have been signed before have been implemented," he said. "But we think this is something that can be discussed later. What we should do now is proceed to an immediate stop of the Israeli attack on Gaza and, therefore, an immediate cease-fire. And we are working very hard to make that happen as soon as possible."

'We are in jail here'

Both Palestinians and Israelis say they are living in fear.

"We are forced to live in this, and there is nothing for us to do," said Abu Musbah, a, 21-year-old member of Islamic Jihad, one of the groups that is firing rockets at Israel. "The children are scared, but we struggle to continue our lives."

The Shuja'iya neighborhood of Gaza City, where Musbah lives, was like a ghost town on Wednesday. Many people had fled during the night.

At the Al-Shati camp, 65-year-old Abu Ashraf said, "We are in jail here, big jail."

In the Israeli city of Ashkelon, less than 15 kilometers (less 10 miles) from the Gaza border, people live under the constant threat of rocket fire.

"It's a difficult situation," said Merav Danieli, a resident of the city. "I know that Gaza has a difficult situation also. We feel for them, we feel for them. But you can't live in your own country and someone will bomb you all the time, it's not a normal situation."

'Failure is not an option'

The failed cease-fire took shape after a secret telephone call between Egypt's al-Sisi and Netanyahu coordinated by U.N. Middle East peace envoy Tony Blair, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported Wednesday, citing unnamed diplomatic sources.

The Egyptian plan calls for all sides to cease hostilities in Gaza, the opening of border crossings and for high-level talks among those involved.

The deal was "prepared hastily" without consulting all the parties involved, most notably Hamas, Haaretz reported, citing Western and Israeli diplomatic sources.

Wednesday's effort to find a new path to a cease-fire is a "must for all of us," said Saeb Erakat, chief negotiator for the Palestinian Authority. "Failure is not an option here," he said.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the immediate need is to find a way to stop the violence.

"Our concern is to have a legitimate cease-fire and see if we can find a way to stop the conflict killing so we can get to the real issues that are underlying it," he said. "And we're doing everything in our power."

Copyright 2014 Gaza Health Ministry, CNN. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow