TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - The Southern Arizona Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping a family of 10 and their dog after fire tore through their east-side home Sunday morning.
The Tucson Fire Department received a call just before 10 a.m. concerning the house at 8200 E. Kenyon Drive. When firefighters arrived five minutes later, the family -- three adults and seven children -- had already safely evacuated, and smoke was pouring from under the eaves of the house, according to TFD spokesman Capt. Barrett Baker.
Two firefighters and a captain cut a hole in the roof to create a vent for the smoke so crews in the house could see better. While up there, one firefighter fell partially through the roof, and his partner reported feeling the roof sinking below him as well. The first firefighter was able to pull himself back out of the hole, and the trio immediately got off the roof, Baker said.
The fire was under control 26 minutes after firefighters arrived, and there were no reported injuries, he said.
The fire department has determined the fire was caused by an unspecified electrical malfunction in the wiring over a walk-in closet in the attic. Damage estimates were not available.