Burning mattress causes house fire, displaces five - Tucson News Now

Burning mattress causes house fire, displaces five

TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) - A house fire, first reported as a burning mattress, displaces a family of five on the East side Sunday night.

A resident made a 9-1-1 call shortly after 8 p.m., stating that a mattress, from a second-floor bedroom, was on fire.

Firefighters arrived on the scene within minutes on the 8400 block of East Via Cortina De Madera, near East Valencia Road and Old Vail Road in Rita Ranch.

The fire started from improperly discarded smoking materials from a man, according to TFD spokesman Capt. Barrett Baker.

A family of five, which includes three children, ages 12, 9 and 6, will be staying with other family members. They do not need assistance from the Red Cross.

Two of the children heard the fire alarm and tried but were unable to extinguish the fire themselves. All residents in the home were evacuated.

One neighbor assisted a man on the second floor, out of the home. Health issues prevented the man from leaving on his own.

One of the kids and an adult man were transported to a local hospital as a precaution.

The damage estimate is yet to be determined.

Copyright 2015 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.
  • Local newsMore>>

  • Local bike shop burglarized

    Local bike shop burglarized

    Tuesday, July 25 2017 1:13 AM EDT2017-07-25 05:13:48 GMT

    A local bike shop needs your help tracking down the suspect who broke into their store and made off with an expensive bike. 

    A local bike shop needs your help tracking down the suspect who broke into their store and made off with an expensive bike. 

  • Tucson police search for missing vulnerable adult

    Tucson police search for missing vulnerable adult

    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:37 AM EDT2017-07-25 04:37:40 GMT
    David Read (Source: Tucson Police Department)David Read (Source: Tucson Police Department)

    According to the Tucson Police Department, 68-year-old David Read left his assisted living center at 8151 E. Speedway Boulevard on Wednesday, July 19, around 4:30 p.m. He was headed to a church at 1950 S. Wilmot Road, but never made it there or back to the center.   

    According to the Tucson Police Department, 68-year-old David Read left his assisted living center at 8151 E. Speedway Boulevard on Wednesday, July 19, around 4:30 p.m. He was headed to a church at 1950 S. Wilmot Road, but never made it there or back to the center.   

  • Camp for homeless veterans damaged by monsoon storms

    Camp for homeless veterans damaged by monsoon storms

    Tuesday, July 25 2017 12:10 AM EDT2017-07-25 04:10:04 GMT
    One of the collapsed tents at Camp Bravo. (Source: Tucson News Now)One of the collapsed tents at Camp Bravo. (Source: Tucson News Now)

    The storm swept through the camp, taking down four tents, knocking over a refrigerator and leaving them without power. Volunteers said this is the worst damage they've ever seen. 

    The storm swept through the camp, taking down four tents, knocking over a refrigerator and leaving them without power. Volunteers said this is the worst damage they've ever seen. 

Powered by Frankly