BBQ mesquite biscuits from the Bisbee Breakfast Club
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup mesquite flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
6 oz. unsalted butter, cubed, in freezer for 15 mins
2 cups buttermilk
2 egg whites, mixed with 1 tbsp cold water
2 oz. melted butter, for brushing biscuit tops
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Cover 12" x 16" sheet pan with parchment paper
3. Combine dry ingredients in food processor
4. Using food processor, add cubed butter to bowl and pulse to cut in until well dispersed and butter pieces are no more than a couple millimeters in size.
5. Continue to pulse while slowly adding 2 cups of cold buttermilk until dough is well mixed and quite sticky.
6. Empty dough onto well-floured work space.
7. With clean hands, gently press dough down to 1" height, fold in half and gently press dough down to " again. Repeat 10 times.
8. With 3" biscuit cutter, cut out 12 biscuits, lightly reworking scraps into dough.
9. Spread biscuits out on sheet pan.
10. Brush tops of biscuits with egg whites.
11. Bake for about 15 minutes until biscuit tops are golden brown.
12. Brush biscuit tops with melted butter.
13. Serve warm, with honey or something delicious like that.